Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
HamSphere
2010-07-02 14:11
when i log in i get the message please complete exam. please help
Re: HamSphere
2010-07-02 15:28
As it says - to be real amateur radio operator we had to pass exams. So do your exam and the Hampshere machine will allow you to be on Air.

73 ! de sp2apa _ . _ _ .
2010-07-06 09:47
SP2APA
As it says - to be real amateur radio operator we had to pass exams. So do your exam and the Hampshere machine will allow you to be on Air.

The Hamsphere exam does not constitute training, examination, or licensing as a Radio Amateur under any jurisdiction. It does not allow operation on-air outside of the Hamsphere environment.

The exam is meant to help new users who are not already licensed operators to gain an understanding of the radio and on-air operations through reading the manuals and completing the exam.

Do not attempt to use a Hamsphere callsign to operate a real radio as this could lead to a ban from licensing, a fine and / or imprisonment dependant on your jurisdiction.

Andy
KF6PVT/MM0BQV/Broadcaster

Hamsphere Forum Moderator
2010-07-06 12:11
"The exam is meant to help new users who are not already licensed operators to gain an understanding of the radio and on-air operations through reading the manuals and completing the exam. "

Yu are right, and this is what I mean - To be on air pass the exam PERIOD

73! Kris
Re: trouble starting HamSphere
2010-08-02 19:12
I don't know where to go next.I have conformation that i'msigned up withhamsphere,receipt from paypal for funds,reply of 1yr service,updated java,updated software and still i can't get the radio to appear.i installed a mic and my friend tells me i should be ok.what am i doing wrong.anxious to get going.someone please help if you can.thanks and 73s bill morris KF5GVH
2010-08-03 02:10
Hi Morris
Please tell people what operating system you are using - is it Microsoft ? is it Linux ? or is it Apple OS X ?
Please tell which Java version is it ? Command is in terminal window ( also called on Microsoft command line or console)
for example:
mycomputer:~ kris$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

If you are using APPLE box - you would get radio but it will not work. The APPLE does supports audio codecs at 44.1 and 48 kHz only!!!!! - i.e. high quality audio.

HamSpehere works nice on any Linux distro, and real UNIX boxes running Solaris, IRIX, AIX, HP-UX.
I never used Microsoft so I do not know.

The only way so far on APPLE box - I made it dual boot with iREFit, installed Linux (gentoo) HamSphere works perfectly when boot to Linux (by the way machine runs much faster than on OS X). I was thinking to write java class - java audio driver but looks like there is no interest of running HamSphere on APPLE boxes so easier is run Linux on them at this stage at least for me.

Best 73! .... Kris (sps2apa)
2010-08-03 05:25
SP2APA
If you are using APPLE box - you would get radio but it will not work. The APPLE does supports audio codecs at 44.1 and 48 kHz only!!!!! - i.e. high quality audio.

The only way so far on APPLE box - I made it dual boot with iREFit, installed Linux (gentoo) HamSphere works perfectly when boot to Linux (by the way machine runs much faster than on OS X). I was thinking to write java class - java audio driver but looks like there is no interest of running HamSphere on APPLE boxes so easier is run Linux on them at this stage at least for me.

I refer you to the post on Hamsphere and Mac OS.

As stated there in Hamsphere does work on Apple Mac OSX upto and including the latest version withe the current distributed Java for Mac version.

--

In addition I do not recommend the use of rEFIt, which is in version 0.14 and full of bugs, as anything in such early stages of development that has such a large impact on the function of your system should not be installed on a primary or mission critical machine. If you just want to try out rEFIt without affecting your computer burn to a CD and boot from that.

--

Andy

2010-08-03 08:26
I was asking for help - so far no one on the net told me how they have got HamSPhere running on iMac or ibooks. The only comments I saw - Does not work on APPLES .... period.
By the way look on my previous post - it is JAVA version currently on iMac, is it latest? ( OSX 1-.4.11) according to APPLE download site it is.

Regarding iREFit - not sure where from you are getting your input - it is not an early development, works perfectly without bugs that I have detected ( I am using 4 boot options, OS X, Linux HD elilo, Linux HD Grub, HD Solaris 10 - just for sake of it ) and have no problems.

By the way to get rid of iREFit just rebless the HD - it does the job nicely.

73 Kris
2010-08-03 09:42
Hi Kris,

To answer your points:

SP2APA
I was asking for help - so far no one on the net told me how they have got HamSPhere running on iMac or ibooks. The only comments I saw - Does not work on APPLES .... period. By the way look on my previous post - it is JAVA version currently on iMac, is it latest? ( OSX 1-.4.11) according to APPLE download site it is.

Kelly does state on several pages, within the manual, and in the forum that the current version of Hamsphere does require the latest version of Java.

Sun's Java RE and Java SDK move on faster than the Apple releases, and the Apple releases are altered prior to adding to the Software Update queue. As a result there are some inconsistances and incompatibilities between current Java apps and older Apple releases of Java RE.

OSX 10.4.11 is now almost 3 years old and the support for current versions of Java stopped at version 1.5.0_19 and J2SE 1.4.2. The current version, 1.6.0_20, is for Intel based systems.

If you have an Intel based iMac I sugest that you upgrade your OSX to Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6).

This said, I have had Hamsphere running and stable on a G3 iMac DV/SE running 10.4.11..

SP2APA
Regarding iREFit - not sure where from you are getting your input - it is not an early development, works perfectly without bugs that I have detected ( I am using 4 boot options, OS X, Linux HD elilo, Linux HD Grub, HD Solaris 10 just for sake of it ) and have no problems.

By the way to get rid of iREFit just rebless the HD - it does the job nicely.

Any application in a pre- 1.0 version is still in early development. The bug reports on rEFIt's own website and comments in other Apple forums are the source of my information of this application. I have used hardware EFI bootloaders on Hackintosh machines with great success but will wait until the software versions for Mac hardware have been better tested and improved before letting it loose on my primary or mission critical systems.

For multiple, if slow, OS sandboxes I prefer to use VMWare Fusion. This an environment in which Hamsphere also works well.

SP2APA
I never used Microsoft so I do not know.
A sentiment I wish I could repeat but nearly 30 years as a tech have meant I have had to suffer through the days before good open-source or alternative commercial OS distributions..

Andy

2010-11-29 21:31
Having trouble getting into Hamsphere after log in...get server is temporarity offline. Please try later.... been getting this messag when ever I try to log in....been like that for weeks...appricate any help you can give

thank you

Don
KB0ZXW

I have subscription...
2010-12-18 00:30
Hai,

Just to let all know, I solve the similar problem when using Hamsphere, just plug in Headphone & Mic is done.

Regards
2017-01-06 14:14
I have 2 operators using the same laptop on Hamsphere 3.
It won't let me login now, as it always pops up with the other operators callsign and password and when I log in it says incorrect callsign or password.
I've ordered a new password and still the same thing.
What do I do?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.