I apologise for the list of issues, but these have all surfaced on the same day, sad to say..
I am using HamSphere 3.0 on Linux (Gentoo, on a 2GB AMD64/2100 box), and also have installed the Android 1.0 version on my Samsung Galaxy S3.
I have always had persistent audio issues with the Java version. It's outputting to the built-in audio device - that being a CK804. Audio is choppy at best, and at worse, it disappears completely.
I used to use a SoundBlaster Audigy2 NX (USB), and it worked perfectly. One day, it refused to power-up and I have not been able to find a new one - so it's back to the glitchy audio output.
Usually, I use the Android app to listen, because the audio quality is much better. Today, it started to glitch (really annoying audio 'dropout' with large gaps occurring every 15 or so seconds), but in spite of this, I was able to have my first QSO, which was to the lighthouse Xpedition - brilliant! I had a reply, then could not log the QSO because the Android client doesn't have a button - so I started up the desktop app and belatedly entered the QSO into the logbook, tried to sent a QSL card and then noticed that I'd made a mistake with the template. In the 'From:' field, it had the name of the contact to whom I was sending the card.. whoops..
I deleted the card from the web forum, edited the QSL card and tried to send the QSL card from the HamSphere 3.0 app. It said 'QSL card sent' and would not let me send another - so, does this mean that the recipient received an incorrect QSL card, and I am unable to fix it? Plus, I now have no record of having sent it..
In addition, the Java app opens the HamSphere page with the wrong browser.
These sort of issues have a habit of occurring whenever I try to do anything - I am terribly accident-prone - so most of this is probably due to 'user error'.
Any hints as to sorting the audio issues on the Java client would be very welcome, as it's really uncomfortable to listen to. I have used a separate pair of cheap USB audio speakers before, but I cannot always use them because I listen at night and do not wish to disturb the other tenants in this place. Headphones are preferred.
Hints from any other Linux users would be greatly appreciated.
Did you sort this problem out already?
If not, then this:
Do you have Gentoo with PulseAudio?
Do you have installed: pavucontrol (pulseaudio control) from the repo?
Look in/with the Terminal > aplay -l # that l is an L(ist)
Look in Terminal > lspci -v #ditto L upfront
Is your card there and do you see its numbers
to enter into Hamsphere Settings "Mixer Commands" (Mixer Cmd)?
My Linux Mint 15 KDE mixer setting (Mixer Cmd) is:
Mixer Cmd: alsactl (alsacontrol) Mic: 1 Device: 1
No - I dislike PulseAudio intensely, since - if not configured correctly - it adds a great deal of latency to the audio subsystem. I've made sure that it is not selected in my USE flags.
> Is your card there and do you see its numbers
> to enter into Hamsphere Settings "Mixer Commands"
> (Mixer Cmd)?
Yes - my mixer setting is correct. There are two devices: card 0 (hw:0,0), device 0 (PCM output) and card 0, device 2 (hw:0,2) (IEC958 output). I don't use the IEC958 because I don't have anything to use it with - but at one point I did use it, but no more because the device that I used with it failed.
> My Linux Mint 15 KDE mixer setting (Mixer Cmd)
> Mixer Cmd: alsactl (alsacontrol) Mic: 1
> Device: 1
> Along that line you should find the solution.
Thank you for your help, but I think that the problem here is not one of incorrect mixer device, but of the format that HamSphere uses. The audio device seems to act-up when presented with audio in any format other than 48 kHz, 16-bit, stereo. The plughw: filter should handle this by automatically converting, but in my case it seems to add sufficient latency that the output glitches horribly.
As a result of this, I now use the Android app all the time, and don't use the Java app any more.
I suspect that simply using a better sound card will fix my issues, but this card is in-use with another computer in a room that is very cold, and I don't like going in there. Plus, a lack of space in my flat means that the most-trivial operation turns into some kind of manic sliding puzzle game as I move stuff out, shift something so I can move something else, and so on. As I said, it's mostly 'user error'!