Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Why aren't the frequencies the same for HS3 and HS4?
2017-11-29 05:28
OK, I realize that HS3 and HS4 are different platforms, and want to be as realistic as possible, but I would have thought that even though the radios are different, the frequencies would stay the same of both platforms but only changing the simulation, IE, 40m 7.050 on HS3 should still be heard on the same 40m 7.050 on HS4, being that the frequencies don't change, the only difference would be that HS4 would use a more realistic simulation such as propagation, etc etc, whereas HS3 is a simplified radio,,,,,, if near to realism is to be achieved, then either HS3 or HS4 can be used and still hear QSO's on the same frequencies.

In reality, no matter what make or model of radio is used, tune them to a frequency and they will still be able to pick up QSO's on that frequency, the radio models and makes and designs change, but the frequencies stay the same,,,,IE 2m 145.5 on one radio isn't 2m 600 on another,,,,2m 145.5 is 2m 145.5 regardless of radio that is listening, the same should be said for HS3 and HS4.
Re: Why aren't the frequencies the same for HS3 and HS4?
2017-11-29 18:10
You already wrote the correct reason. ;-) In reality we have only ONE atmosphere and the conditions are the same for everyone, no matter what kind of radio using.

But HS 3 and 4 are complete different systems, not only the simulation. If you want, there are "two worlds". Independent databases, server and so on.
So it is impossible to hear the same signals on both platforms. We don't have real frequencies, you can see each freq. as a "chatroom" or an user-adress on Skype and so on. It's just an "adress", not more. And two systems, different databases and server means a lot of different adresses.

E.g. you have the same person on Skype and on WhatsApp.... so nevertheless you can't read his messages on both systems at the same time. It's the same on HamSphere.

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
Re: Why aren't the frequencies the same for HS3 and HS4?
2017-12-05 16:13
Hmmmm, actually there is no comparison when using messengers, ie Skype, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, as they all use different programming and servers, but!, Skype has 4 platforms that use entirely different programming, but access the same server, Skype for windows can see and read Skype for Linux, Mac and Android, etc etc, which is basically what I'm trying to say with HS3 and HS4, HS3 has different platforms and each one, IE, Android, Windows and mac if available, can still access the HS3 server. Another example would be a car, it's basic function is to have 4 wheels, an engine, a chassis, and a steering wheel, other than that, everything else is eye candy, and that is where the similarity ends, models, shapes, designs, color, accessories may change or get added, but a car's basic function stays the same, much the same with HS3 and HS4, their primary functions are to simulate (use virtual frequencies), but on 2 separate servers. Strip down HS4 of it's plugins, and skins and you have an HS3, so what I'm saying is, HS3 and HS4 should use the same virtual frequency server, for their primary function, and anything else would be added features. EG, Supposed you want a car with GPS and a stereo system, you would go out and by a car with those already installed, you wouldn't buy 2 cars, 1 with a stereo and the other with GPS.

That's how I see HS3 and HS4, they are both using virtual frequencies, and that is where the similarity should end.

The way I see it, is that HS should utilize a single server to operate those virtual frequencies for both HS3 and HS4, but the programming of the radios would be such that if one tries to run HS3 while HS4 is open and running, HS3 would show a warning, that HS4 is already running and audio feedback would be the result if both were running at the same time, and vice versa, or if someone just wanted to use HS3, that that's fine, only use HS3, but if someone wants to use HS4, then sure use that, but not both,,,(in reality, you wouldn't have 2 radios operating side by side on the same frequency?, so why have 2 virtual radios running using the same virtual frequency?

Having sad that, and HS3 and HS4 utilizing the same virtual frequency server, that same server could also have the extra functions that can only be accessed by HS4, such as propagation, simulated squelch noise, antenna selection, and other plugins, extra filters, extra bands such as 2m and 7cm, that HS3 can't use.

At a beginners stand point, HS3 would be an ideal learning instrument, and knowing that HS4 is there and is much more advanced, the beginner can work on gaining experience in using HS3 and start studying about the other aspects of radio operations before operating HS4, he/she could then uninstall HS3 install HS4 and still hear QSO's on those same frequencies that was heard when operating HS3, but this time, those QSO's would be subject to HS4's realism of propagation, antenna usage, etc etc.

That is what I'm trying to put across.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.