Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Using a Bencher Paddle
2013-09-20 17:30
I have a Bencher Paddle that is hooked up to my computer basically using a USB to Serial adapter and from there a serial adapter to a quarter inch phono plug to my Bencher. I have been using a program called CW Communicator and the way my Bencher is set up I can use it in CW Communicator to send Morse Code instead of using my mouse or keyboard. Is the way I have it set up for that purpose, set up right so that I can use it in Hamsphere? If so where do I go to have Hamsphere recognize my Bencher paddle?
Larry N8RGO
Re: Using a Bencher Paddle
2013-09-20 19:35
Hi Larry

Thanks for sharing your paddle problem with us.

I have just the expert for you. If you Private Mail via the HS System OM Peter 9H1RN/BV I am sure he will be able to solve your problem.

Please keep in touch when you have found the solution. You are welcome leave a post on this forum which may help other users.

Good luck OM

Eric 44HS852

2013-09-20 19:42
44HS852 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Larry
>
> Thanks for sharing your paddle problem with us.
>
> I have just the expert for you. If you Private
> Mail via the HS System OM Peter 9H1RN/BV I am sure
> he will be able to solve your problem.
>
> Please keep in touch when you have found the
> solution. You are welcome leave a post on this
> forum which may help other users.
>
> Good luck OM
>
> Eric 44HS852
>
> 73

I have never used the Private Mail on HS so I am not sure how to go about it, if you can give step by step instructions that would be great.
Larry
2013-10-20 00:35
For a quick heads-up, Hamsphere does not currently support directly reading paddles / keys. The cheapest way to use one at the moment is to install a keying program which will produce sound from your keying, and use something like virtual audio cable to route the sound to Hamsphere's input. Another option is to plug your paddle / key into an electronic sounder, and connect the output of this to your computer's line in (taking care of course to adjust the signal level). You would need to either use the PTT lock or work in vox mode.

I did have some success with a jury-rigged USB mouse key and cwirc - I had an army surplus key, and put the gubbins of the mouse inside, with the contacts of the left button wired to the key. I then rewired the sockets so that I could plug my other key in, positioned my mouse pointer over the ptt "button" and keyed away. I've not tried this on Hamsphere; perhaps I should rebuild it and give it a go.

Another possibility - possibly as a module for HS4, would be to read the serial port (I think RTS is generally used) and use this to key CW, possibly even incorporating CAT for rig control. This is, however, a more complex issue, and I don't know whether Kelly has the time or the inclination to add something like this. It would be nice, though - we could then link to things like Ham Radio Deluxe, and other digital mode stuff.

Phil.
26HS2308
2013-10-24 14:25
I'm trying to use an Android app that emits cw note with touch pad, connecting your phone to pc with cable audio in. Transmits only in DSB.
2014-08-13 12:35
Yes I also used the output of a home made keyer to operate a tone generator fed directly into the mic input. So simple to do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.