Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Beginners Guide to using Basic CW on Hamsphere
2013-08-22 19:36
Beginners Guide to using Basic CW on Hamsphere

Setup Instructions for CW by Eric 44HS852

THIS BEGINNERS GUIDE HAS BEEN SET UP TO ENCOURAGE ALL HAMSPHERE USERS TO USE CW AND ENJOY MAKING CONTACTS IN THIS FACINATING MODE.

CW is an exciting and unique way of communicating. These simple instructions will assist anyone that has never used CW on the Hamsphere Program before. By following these simple instructions carefully, you will soon be transmitting and receiving Morse Code without too much difficulty.

With a bit of practice you will soon be logging QSO's/QSL’s with New Countries all over the World - a whole new dimension in communication for you to use and to have fun with.

1. Can you read CW?

Yes you can, great no problem. If not, you will need the use of an Android Device to decode the signal. This can be an I Pad, Tablet or a Smart Phone, so long as they use the Android O.S.

2. To Install a Decoder

2.1 Using your Android Device open “Google Search”
2.2 Type “Android Morse Code Reader”
2.3 Click on “Morse Code Reader – Android” (This is an App by Jaceck Fedorynski)
2.4 Click on “Install”
2.5 Open the new software on your device
2.6 Place your device next to your Transceiver Speaker (Laptop or External speaker) You are now ready to receive Morse Code in text format which you will easily be able to read and respond to.

3. To Listen or Transmit in CW Mode

Only use the following Band Plan – 30m 10.101 to 10.195 kHz (No voice)
80m 3.701 to 3.730 kHz
160m 1.801 to 1.830 kHz

4. To Transmit in CW Mode

4.1 Select a Band and Frequency (Say 30m - 10.102 kHz)
4.2 Select CW Mode on transceiver
4.3 The system sets the transmit speed and offset by default as follows…….
Speed 18 (words per minute)
Offset 500 Hz (CW tone)
To change these settings, type the following in the chat box…..
/SPEED 20 Then press the enter button on your laptop
(You can set SPEED between 10 to 34 words per minute)

/OFFSET 600 Then press the enter button on your laptop
(You can set OFFSET between 100 to 1000 Hz)
The system will then save these new settings on the server that you are currently using. Should you change servers, then you will need to reset these settings again.

Type your message in the CHAT BOX (e.g.….CQ CQ CQ DE 44HS852 CQ CQ QRZ}
Press enter on your laptop, you can now hear your message being sent in CW Mode and you can read it on your android device.
Listen for a reply…………….

YOU ARE NOW IN A QSO IN CW MODE!!

5. Logging your QSO

In DSB Mode a great signal is 59. In CW mode you have a third aspect and that is Tone, so a great signal in CW Mode would be 599
Remember then that before you LOG QSO in your LOG BOOK you will need to change the RST reading from 59 to read 599 or whatever strength you have received

6. CW Abbreviations

You will need to familiarize yourself with the abbreviations used in CW. Contacts in CW Mode are normally short messages, so use abbreviations where possible.
Go to HELP - How to operate the Hamsphere - Here you will find the more frequent abbreviations that are used.

I will try to help any new CW Operator where I can. If you see my call sign on the bands send me a “Private Message” or a “Private Mail” and I will join you for a practice session on 30m in CW Mode.

Good luck and Good DX’ing

Eric 44HS852
Johannesburg, South Africa 73
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.