Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
problem using with ubuntu error message 2206
2013-12-10 10:10
after opening a root terminal window and executing java -jar hamsphere.jar the hamsphere opened but when i logged in i got - error message 2206 master gain not supported the selected audio device does not support the audio format hamsphere uses please select another playback device with the command /play x where x is the device ID usually between 0-4 can not initiate the audio driver can anyone help with this problem stephenf243@yahoo.com
Re: problem using with ubuntu error message 2206
2013-12-19 21:56
I'm also having the same problem. I tried adjusting various sound and recording settings and I keep getting this message. It's really frustrating since I usually prefer to use Ubuntu as my operating system.
2013-12-27 10:44
Some general remarks regarding Linux (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint and possible related distros).
1) Be sure to have JAVA ('openjdk') installed from the repository. If not, the Hamsphere program will not even run...
2) In the Terminal/Konsole type: aplay -l to see what audio devices were detected, where you can work with!
3) aplay -l will reveal things like: card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 1: ALC889A Digital [ALC889A Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
4) Goto Hamsphere and press "Settings"
5) See: Mixer Cmd and fill in: alsactl (which is Alsa Control notwithstanding you running the PulseAudio server)
6) See: Mic Device and Speaker Device, fill in from aplay-l subdevices: 1 and 1 resp. ; or 0 and 1 combinations to hear.
This is the "difficult" and most revealing part. You should be able to hear and speak this way.
On my computer (Kubuntu and Mint) it appeared to be 1 and 1. See also 11.
7) Gain: 5, leave the rest as-is. Put "Boost" ON.
8) Press the "Apply" button to save the settings preset !
9) Press "Close" - now Hamsphere ought to work...
10) Top-left in Hamsphere transceiver display: select your "Server", f.ex. Server 6, Stockholm SE to verify.
Change the server to the one of the transmitting operator as seen in the scrolling list left in the display
for best results. Press function key F12 with the cursor (mouse) IN the input-box (left-under) to see that list.

11) Please do READ this: http://www.hamsphere.com/5_4992_read.html PTT means: Push To Talk, the microphone button.
12) Note the chapter on "Audio Commands" and visit 160m: 01.823.45 kHz to test your microphone setting in the S-meter.
It should remain at the top of the green bar in the S-meter. Don't allow over-modulation or too low 'power'.
I have the buttons: Volume and Power at 12 o'clock positions, and the mike at 11 o'clock... My '5-9' setting.

Now things would work correctly. Maintain the HAM Code of Conduct at ALL times!
Do read this: http://www.hamsphere.com/5_5662_read.html

Remark:
If you already 'tampered' with the sound settings, f.ex. disabled the PulseAudio server, you may still suffer from audio problems.
Hamsphere on Linux runs on Alsa Control (alsactl in Settings), not something else.

If you encounter a "Group" or "round table" don't break-in, but in a pause between changing operators briefly mention
the last 4 tokens/numbers of your Callsign and add: 'standing by'. Example: "3-1-7-7 standing-by".
The net-controller (who "owns" the frequency) will have noticed and call you back to instruct you what to do next.
You should listen carefully to his words and follow them up. Listen to other stations when you are new to learn how to behave!
Don't rush...

John 30hs3177
2014-01-11 19:18
Thank you John for the help! That did the trick and I can now use Hamsphere on Ubuntu. Thank you so very much!
2014-12-05 22:17
John, thanks for the comment.. It works now with Hamsphere 3

My call is 19HS1787

Question, I changed today to Linux mint, I had Windows 8 and was working there with Hamsphere 4.
But this afternoon I have installed only Linux Mint.

I don t know at this moment how to start Hamsphere 3, I do this now in the terminal with java -jar and then the Hamsphere program, and then I get the program. But this seems to me not normal.

I want to load Hamsphere from my desk. How can I do this?

Is there no Hamsphere 4 at this moment? 4 I like more then 3.

Please drop me an email: hansstam@kpnplanet.nl

Thanks for your help..

Hans
2015-09-03 18:28
This explanation is for Kali Linux with Gnome Desktop & Hamsphere 3.0 Java version.

STEP 1

On Kali Linux which is Debian, and may be necessary for other Linux versions with aptitude installed such as Ubuntu, do the following in a terminal as root;

apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss

STEP 2

Now you are finished in the terminal, if using Gnome desktop, locate the "speaker icon" on the top toolbar, right click the "speaker icon" and select the option "Sound Preferences".

Once the "Sound Preferences" menu window opens, on the tab menu multiple options should be available, they will probably be;

1) Output
2) Input
3) Hardware
4) Sound Effects
5) Applications

Select the "Input" tab. Once in the "Input" tab you should see an "Input volume" label, scroll your eyes over to the right hand side where a button should be available with two options, either "ON" or "OFF".

Make sure the button is switched to "ON", to verify the mic is "ON" verify the button is blue in color and not grey.

Below the "Input volume" label you should see an "Input level" label, scroll your eyes over to the right where you should see an input volume gauge.

If the mic is "ON" when you speak you should see the input level gauge indicators turn blue. If the input level gauge indicators are all blue when you speak into the mic you may need to turn the input volume down.

If the mic is "ON" and the input volume is set to "Unamplified" or above and input level gauge indicators all remain grey then you need to consult your operating system manual and/or forums for further troubleshooting.

STEP 3

Once you are happy your mic is operating as it should open up Hamsphere 3.0 by double clicking the .jar file. Once Hamsphere 3.0 opens fill in the "Callsign" input box and the "Password" input box, then hit the "Login" button.

If Hamsphere 3.0 kicks out an Error code: 2206 as posted by the post creator, press the "Settings" button.

Once the "Audio Settings" menu opens locate the "Mixer cmd" label, in the input box to the right of the label highlight whatever is filled in and type in "alsactl".

To the right of the "Mixer cmd" input box you should see a "Mic device" label, to the right of the label you should see a "Mic device" input box, set the input box value to 0.

To the right of the "Mic device" input box you should see the "Speaker device" label and to its right the "Speaker device" input box, set the input box value to 1.

Once you have completed STEP 3 press the "Apply" button which should be below the "Mixer cmd" label.

Now restart Hamsphere 3.0.

Once Hamsphere 3.0 opens fill in the "Callsign" input box and the "Password" input box, then hit the "Login" button.

If everything worked as expected you should now be logged in to Hamsphere 3.0 and you should hear white noise.

STEP 4

On the right hand side and at the top of the Hamsphere 3.0 radio simulator locate and select the "160m" button.

Now locate and select the "F ENT" button, you should now see the LCD display read out panel change from having a set frequency to;

--.---.--

On your computers keypad type in the number 0182345 and press enter, this is the frequency 1.823.45 MHz used for an "Echo Test".

An "Echo Test" simply records what you say and then plays it back.

On the right hand side and at the bottom of the Hamsphere 3.0 radio simulator locate the "PTT" button, where PTT stands for Push To Talk.

Once you feel comfortable press the "PTT" button with your left mouse button keeping it pressed in while you talk, the message will only record for 10 seconds.

Once your message has recorded you should hear your own voice with the message you recorded.

A test message may be something along the lines of "Mic check, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10" or anything else you wish to say.

If the mic playback is too low then you may need to move closer to the mic, if this doesn't work then you may need to adjust the "MIC LEVEL" knob to the right in order to increase the input volume.

If the mic is too high then you may need to move the "MIC LEVEL" knob to the left in order to reduce the input volume.

Play about with the "MIC LEVEL" knob until you are happy with the playback volume.

If all is well you should be up and running, if not, it is way beyond the scope of this post, seek help for your specific issue using operating system manuals, troubleshooting forums, or post a comment with your specific issue providing as much about your problem as possible in order than others can help you as quickly as possible.

Although you might see what is going on at your end, your words are other peoples eyes.

Hope that helped someone, Godspeed 73 OC 26HS8638 QRT 30 over...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.