Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Latency and server going down
2010-09-03 12:19
Hi Hamsphere Friends,
I have never had this problem before so need some help and advice please.
My ISP says all is well, although I only use a T Mobile dongle so it is never going to compete with dsl etc etc but, it has mostly been fine running Hamsphere with only the occasional blip that happens with computers.
I downloaded pingplotter as the excellent text info gives on this program and the report is as follows,
Packet loss = 60-100
Ping = 800+ MS
I have no other programs running, no anti vir, acrobat, windows update etc etc whilst I am on Hamsphere as they do interfere with the program when a mobile dongle is being used I found.
I also went to system restore four times to cure the problem with no luck.
I run a emachinesD620 laptop with integral mic, 2gb ram, 85 gig left on the hard drive, browsing history deleted, defraged and there are no viruses or maleware detected. HELP !!! HI HI from Chris 26HS881
Re: Latency and server going down
2010-09-03 12:41
The answer is in your packet loss and ping results.

60-100% packet loss along with 800+ms pings is totally unacceptable.

Firstly, using a dongle which is basically a miniature mobile phone is not going to give you the best connection - you know what it is like with dropouts on your phone so the effect will be greater for data.

I would suggest making sure that you have the best connection possible at your QTH and run the tests again, repeating them a few times over a day or two to see if there are specific times that there is a problem, and if the problem persists.

If the problem does persist or you notice specific times when it becomes a problem go back to your ISP with your results and get them to fix it. Don't be fobbed off with their internal test results as these are often wrong or meaningless as they check that you have a connection only or that the results are within their 'acceptable parameters' which can include 30-80db signal loss, 30db+ SNR, and as much as 100% packet loss.

Andy
KF6PVT/MM0BQV/Broadcaster

Hamsphere Forum Moderator
2010-09-03 12:58
Hi Andy,
Thank you very much for your quick reply Sir,
Yes I know they fob people off and I will have to make the phone call but, not on Skype as that does'nt work either obviously. I realise that the problem is not with Hamsphere Andy of course, but I do get concerned at times listening on frequency, and when situations become intollerable, like it has been for me for the past two days, some guys blame Hamsphere and the problem is NOT Hamsphere but our computers via ISP or whatever, or stations having music downloads going on via Limewire, Frostwire or whatever and letting others upload from their computer.
Thanks again Andy and I hope my post helps others in my predicament and they get the info to help them via this forum.
Chris
26HS881
2010-09-06 06:22
For those in the UK here is another great resource for monitoring your latency - frUK f8lure.

This service runs regular ping tests on your IP address and graphs the results.

The graphs show the lowest, highest, and average ping results as well as showing if there is exchange congestion or specific times or days that the results are fluctuating.

It is safe to use and free to sign up and use, although a donation is suggested.

Andy
KF6PVT/MM0BQV/Broadcaster

Hamsphere Forum Moderator
2010-09-08 09:30
Thanks for download info, I will download that now.
Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.