Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
HamSphere Newsletter September 2022
2022-09-25 12:04
Admin

Welcome to the autum edition of the HamSphere Newsletter 2022.
HamSphere has a lot of good stuff coming your way so let's begin:

HamSphere 5.0

On September 9, Facebook users were presented to this screen shown to the right and quickly a discussion started what this was all about. Will there be a HamSphere 5.0? What will it look like?

To reassure the community and to give you a head up on the future of HamSphere, we will here give you a few details on what you may expect from the HamSphere development team. HamSphere 3.0 has been running for a good 10 years and HamSphere 4.0 comes up on 8 years. The HamSphere company has maintained these platforms separately with up to 20 high-capacity servers for over a decade.

Yes, we can confirm that the HamSphere development team is working on a new concept under the name of "HamSphere 5.0" with a single purpose of merging HamSphere 3.0 and 4.0 into one system. We also needed to address a few issues with the current HamSphere structure such as:

▪ Duplicate storages for QSL cards and Awards where databases are growing fast

▪ The Mobile top list, Daily Contact Challenge and TOP-1000 list do not really belong on Amateur Radio

▪ iPhone/iOS support for HamSphere 4.0

▪ A duplicated and divided system cannot sustain enough activity in the long run

▪ Sensible and achievable Awards

▪ The OSR and RM systems. (Remote transceivers)

▪ Unrealistic monster antennas, such as the 5x4 stack

Without giving out too much information, as this is a constantly evolving process, we will give you a quick rundown of what HamSphere 5.0 may offer (But not yet decided)

▪ HamSphere 3.0 and HamSphere 4.0 merged into one system

▪ 100% compatible with HamSphere 4.0 and purchased plug-ins and antennas will work just like before (except 5x4 stacks, see footnote 1)

▪ Mobile top list, HS3 Contact challenge and HS4 Top-Lists will end. HamSphere will focus on interesting and achievable awards, DX activations, inspiring Contests and Rag Chewing and DX Clubs in the future.

▪ New (newcomer) bands (6m, 2m and 70cm etc) with lenient and forgiving propagation, just like HamSphere 3.0, but where special antennas are available to give an idea on how antennas work and how to use directivity (footnote 2)

▪ Easy Amateur Radio "HF Introduction" before 160-10m can be used.

▪ New HamSphere 5.0 Awards

▪ Satellite communication transverter/antennas for orbital satellites

▪ New Plug-Ins for visually impaired operators.

▪ New and inspiring contests for all kind of operators (beginners to advanced)

▪ OSR and RM system will be restructured. More info later.

▪ All achieved Awards, Logbooks, Contest results, Top-Lists, QSL-Cards etc from HamSphere 3.0 and 4.0 activity will remain available along with HamSphere 5.0

Footnote 1: The totally unrealistic 5x4 stacks, that the entire crew including the chief designer regret designing, have already been removed from the Webshop and sold antennas will be repurchased into HS Credits once HamSphere 5.0 is launched.

Footnote 2: The 5/9 propagation that HamSphere 3.0 has enjoyed will also be present on HamSphere 5.0 (100% propagation), but on one semi-simulated band (6m) introducing QSB, but still within the 5/3 - 5/9 signal level range as well as worldwide coverage. The 6m band will have manoeuvrable special antennas for education and training purposes where operators will be able to gain some dBs with directional antennas included in the subscription. The system will still have two VHF/UHF bands (2m and 70cm) with a slightly different setup but with full signal strength.

The time frame of HamSphere 5.0 is yet to be determined, but we are expecting up to 3-6 months before fully deployed.

JOTA/JOTI 2022

JOTA/JOTI is the world’s largest digital and radio Scout event promoting friendship and global citizenship.

JOTI (Jamboree On The Internet) is an annual event in which Scouts and Guides from all corners of the world connect with each other through the internet. Digital signals carry their voices, pictures and messages all around the world. Connecting virtually with young people from other countries gives a feeling of the worldwide fellowship that scouting is.

Date: 14 to 16 October 2022

Mohamed SU1ME will operate SU1ME/JOTA on HamSphere 3.0 and HamSphere 4.0
Mohamed lives in Giza, Egypt and is a veterinarian in profession. He is also an Arabic ScoutLink Deputy.

SU1ME will be operate JOTA station in "Giza Sea Scout Association" in Egypt with callsign "SU1ME/JOTA". From 13rd to 16th October 2022 on "Echolink" and "Hamsphere 3 & 4" celebrating and participating the 65th Jamboree On The Air, and QSL cards will be online on HamSphere and email.

Mohamed can be reached at:
hamada@scoutlink.net
mohemadeldin94@gmail.com

Arwa El Mehri is a Scout girl from Tunisia who started Ham Radio 2010. Arwa is operating 3V8SQ "Clubstation of the Tunisian scouts" and she will be active on HamSphere 4.0 during JOTA/JOTI this year. Arwa lives in Monastir, Tunisia which is a city on the Center coast of Tunisia. She works in a company in the field of methods.

Arwa can be reached at:
Monastirscout@gmail.com

HamSphere 4.0 news

AUTO-Spotter

The HamSphere 4.0 auto-spot is improved. For many users HamSphere is a training platform for beginners and when they followed the old auto-spots they never heard anything because the transmitting station was long gone.

When an operator is transmitting now and heard by any of the DX-Monitors it will be reported instantly when the transmission is taking place, not 1-5 minutes later like before. This makes HamSphere 4.0 spotting more accurate and will help newcomers to actually hear something. The operator on the band will not get spotted again within 10 minutes unless it changes band. If the band is changed it will display the spot if at least 3 minutes have passed since last transmission. We don't know if that is enough for band-hopping, but it can be changed.

Instant spotting of call occurs if operator;

a) Has not been spotted within 10 minutes on a band
b) The frequency was not spotted within 5 minutes
c) Has changed the band and 180 secs passed and (a and b) above.

HS Rag Chew Club

On Aug 2 we have eased up the criteria for a HS Rag Chew. It is now set is at least three 120 secs transmissions within 20 minutes.
You will automatically join HRCC club once you start holding longer QSOs on HamSphere 4.0. We have also provided a list of valid transmissions and Rag Chews.

You can also see how we calculated your Rag Chews:

https://hs40.hamsphere.com/hrcc

OSR Applications

The HamSphere OSR concept or Operator Selected Remotes has been an interesting part of HamSphere 4.0 for over two years now.
For an extra yearly subscription an operator could start a "remotely operated transceiver" in a different part of the world and experience the conditions just like being there physically.

However, the management of these OSRs has been tiresome. Everything from verifying their legal status, creating them to incomplete payments to disputes over locations, fights, quarrels and mistakes in coordinates etc.

Due to these hurdles and difficulties as well as the importance of maintaining the realism on the system, the HamSphere management decided to stop issuing further OSRs.

We have decided to let the existing operators with non-expired OSRs maintain their stations until further notice as long as they are paid for in full (yearly subscriptions).

More info about the new OSR regulations: https://hamsphere.com/osr

HamSphere 4.0 Manual

We found one of the first manuals for HamSphere 4.0. Some good stuff in it. But be aware, some things may be a bit outdated, but most will be actual. Here is the link: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/short_user_manual_4.0.4.pdf

The Hex Beam phenomena

By Kelly SM7NHC

I remember on real HF that the 40m band was really difficult between 0700-10.00 UTC for short distance communications. Same thing happened to me the other day. I was in contact with some operators in Holland from my QTH in South Sweden on 40m.

The straight line distance between my QTH and these guys were about 600-700km. I tried with all my wire antennas as well as 2 and 3 element yagies, but the signal remained low. Then one station came up extremely strong, and I asked what antenna he was using. He said he was using the "Hex beam". When looking at the specifications for this antenna it says in one part "suitability for short/medium range operation on all supported bands", and I wondered why that is. The difference in performance was obvious. I selected the Hex beam, and all of a sudden the weak signals from the 600-700km distance came in very clear.

I was really curious about this and started searching the net for more info. One article I found said "And when you get it on the air, suddenly guys are returning your calls that you just begged for a QSO with when you had that G5RV or vertical. You are suddenly hearing guys in Mauritius and Burma that you only dreamed of before." So the Hex-beam antenna is really a super choice for local 40m medium to short distance contacts in the morning.

I had to investigate further and asked our chief antenna design Basu VU2NSB and he replies:

"650km distance requires high take off angle and the Hexbeam is fulfilling that requirement. The designed height above ground of the Hexbeam has also a major impact". But he also adds "There should not be much of a difference between say a 2-el yagi and the hexbeam, unless they were at different heights above ground. And that seems to be the factor here."

The Hex beam link: https://shop.hamsphere.com/product_info.php?products_id=52094

73 de Kelly SM7NHC

Mobile news

iPhone users have longed for an app covering HamSphere 4.0. Now we have some good news.
We are currently working on an iPhone app for HamSphere 5.0 and it will replace the current iOS HamSphere 3.0 app.
This means that iPhone users will be able to conduct QSOs on HamSphere 5.0 all bands. The first version will not support the Android plug-ins and antennas offered in the mobile web shop, but it will have a normal transceiver setup such as a simple band change and fixed antenna.

Gena UT5LF

Dear friends!

I am Gena UT5LF, Amateur Radio operator from Ukraine. I currently work as a freelance writer for HamSphere and I am here presenting a few articles I have written about HamSphere in this newsletter.

I dedicate the first article to the HamSphere 4.0 virtual radio software. The HamSphere software is very close to real HAM radio. Radio amateurs around the world conduct radio communications (QSO) with each other and they exchange QSL-cards confirming the contacts they make. You can contact any continent and get a beautiful QSL-card from a radio amateur within a few minutes. The received card of confirmed radio communication is the base for "Awards" that are issued in electronic form (please see https://hs40.hamsphere.com/dxhc). Among the awards you will find "Worked 250 Countries" "Worked DXHC Entities" "250 verified Countries" etc.

You will be able to successfully make QSOs when you connect a good antenna, which are sold in the HamSphere webshop https://shop.hamsphere.com. One of these antennas is really good and that is the 6 bands 5el Quad (10, 11, 12, 15, 17 and 20m).

Here is the link to the antenna: https://shop.hamsphere.com/product_info.php?products_id=1864

It is quite possible to complete more than one Awards program and participate in Contest and DX hunting with this antenna. Working with this antenna will bring you many pleasant moments and comfort when switching from one band to another. This antenna is an all-time winner, both in terms of performance and cost. The antenna has a complex design that was carefully optimized for HamSphere 4.0 and can be your steppingstone to the big league.

I hope the above information will be useful to you.
73! Happy DXing!!! Sincerely, Gena UT5LF.

DIGI operations on HS

Here are the results of the HamSphere 4.0 RTTY Contest 2022 that was held 27 Aug.
The results are based on a properly filled out logbook.
We had a total of 18 participants which is 3 more than last year. RTTY is gaining interest.

Congratulations to Bruno, CT8/HB9BHS who won with the score of 4928. Well done indeed! Bruno managed to complete 77 valid QSO's and 63 multipliers and wins the prize of 15 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In second place came Nick, UB3LCE with the score of 2508. Well done! Nick managed to complete 57 valid QSO's and 43 multipliers and wins the prize of 10 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In third place came Niko, 14HS6944 with the score of 1230. Good work! Niko managed to complete 41 valid QSOs and 29 multipliers and wins the prize of 5 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

HamSphere sends a big Thank You to all participants.

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51235_read.html

If you are interested in Digi Modes, please make sure you join the HamSphere Data Modes Group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamspheredatamodes

HamSphere DX Code of Honour

By Paul G0THD

Dear operators, please can I gently remind you to read and review the HamSphere DX Code of Honour found in https://www.hamsphere.com/5_5662_read.html

A small amount of operators think they know best as to how others should operate, however the following is best practice for all of us (Note there are a number of ways to operate within the code) de G0THD.

HamSphere DX Code of Honour

There are many ways of communicating using Amateur radio. It can be anything from the long "rag chewing" sessions where a group of operators share a good conversation up to the very fast, short and strict Amateur Radio DX hunting or DX chasing. DX is the acronym for "distance" and usually means a rare station usually from a far away place that everyone wants in the log.
Working DX has special rules as the contacts are very short and you need to understand how to operate a so called "pile up".
Regardless if you want to participate in DX hunting or not, you should be familiar with the procedures below:

I will listen, and listen, and then listen again before calling.
I will only call if I can copy the DX station properly.
I will not trust the DX cluster and will be sure of the DX station's call sign before calling.
I will not interfere with the DX station nor anyone calling and will never tune-up on the DX frequency or in the QSX slot.
I will wait for the DX station to end a contact before I call.
I will always send my full call sign.
I will call and then listen for a reasonable interval. I will not call continuously.
I will not transmit when the DX operator calls another call sign that is not mine.
I will not transmit when the DX operator queries a call sign that is unlike mine.
I will not transmit when the DX station requests calls from geographic areas other than mine.
I will not repeat my call sign when the DX operator calls me, unless I think he has copied it incorrectly.
I will respect my fellow hams and conduct myself so as to earn their respect.
These guidelines have a very long and successful history in the traditions of Ham Radio, around the world, and these efficient, courteous, rewarding techniques will serve you well. A hundred years of operating history have demonstrated this. HamSphere urges you to adopt these operating practices in your own pursuits and join the ranks of "good operators".

Upcoming HamSphere Contests

2022-10-15 20:00 UTC Four hour series contest stage 5
2022-11-05 04:00 UTC HamSphere 4.0 Fall CW contest 2022
2022-12-03 00:00 UTC Four hour series contest stage 6
2022-12-17 00:00 UTC North American Winter 24 hour SSB Contest

DXpedition Reports and Special Event Stations

Kelly 5B4AIT

5B4AIT Kelly was active from the old HamSphere Headquarters in Paphos, Cyprus 5B4-land for two weeks in August. QSOed stations received a special QSL card to all QSOed.

Jose TI2JJP

DXpedition commencing 29 Sept and running through to 11 Oct 2022

(1)September 29 to october 1,2022(18-23 UTC) Madrid Spain 30HE1
(2)Milan Italy october 1-3,2022(18-23 UTC) 1HE01
(3)Piran Slovenia(18-23 UTC) October 4-6,2022 330HE1
(4)Budapest Hungary 109HE1

XE/MW3HCW

Hi,my name is Paul,MW3HCW.
On 27th September we will be on vacation in Cancun,Mexico and I have decided to take with us the Hamsphere.
My call sign will be XE/MW3HCW and will look forward to any stations wishing a QSO or maybe Mexico as a new country for you.
Over the past couple of years we took the Hampshere to Antigua,St Lucia,and also Kos.Unfortunately the wifi in the Caribbean is very poor to say to least,so hopefully the W-Fi in Mexico will be better.
We will be transmitting live from Planet Hollywood Resort in Cancun from 28th September until 3rd of October.
Please note that this is a holiday too with my good lady,so sometime would have to be spent doing what people do on holiday.

Best 73 and regards
MW3HCW

Silent keys

Stephen Watkins, 26HS2036, Sittingbourne Kent, UK became Silent Key in 2022. Stephen joined HamSphere in July 2010 and was an avid operator. He was an elected member of the South African Radio League from the 05/05/1981 with his callsign is ZS5-150.
We were contacted by the widow who came to us with these heartfelt words "Stephen passed away am unable to carry on but thanks for all you have done while he was alive that help him a lot in is painful days. Thanking You, Marie Huguette Watkins"

HamSphere North America Rag Chew Net

The HamSphere North America Rag Chew Net - NET/NARC continues to grow and evolve. Recently a question was asked why we would not stay on 70CM at 434.5 for the entire year. After the discussion the unanimous decision was that we should remain on 70CM. We have done so with the approval of Kelly, Wednesday, and Friday at 01:00 UTC on 70CM 434.50 MHz

NET/NARC – Net North American Rag Chew. Currently our Net Controllers are Pete, M6INJ. With the Net Logger in the capable hands of Rik – 2HS1189, we have trained up two more to assist when called on, Bob – KD9TQH and Andrew – M7SBC, the NARC Team thanks you and looks forward to continuing this great net.

Since our last report in the Spring Newsletter, we continue to have questions and discussion points submitted by the members of the net here is a few that we have covered:

Is WiFi better than a wired connection? And, Does your internet provider have sufficient bandwidth available so that you can connect to Hamsphere 4 servers?

Do you as a group think that having the button panels with programmable buttons a good idea and what would you program the buttons to do? i.e. your antennas, power settings just as an example.

How long have you been on HamSphere and how did you find out about it?

What are your thoughts on HamSphere's decision to not accept any further OSR's? And, how do you think this could have been avoided?

What aspect of HamSphere and ham radio do you enjoy the most? Talking to operators around the world, figuring out propagation, equipment, antennas, experimentations etc.?

What do you most enjoy about HamSphere?

What are the things that you find unpleasant about Ham Radio or HamSphere operators and how do you handle those situations? Please Note: Question is not about the platform or program.

As July 5th was VA7FT – Tim’s Birthday the operators checked in were asked to give thoughts and impression of Tim to celebrate his Birthday.
Activity log do you use it and does it serve a purpose for you?

Do you know how to work split? Do you work it? Do you listen first to hear if the station is working split and how can you tell?

Do you use the HamSphere Tech Support or do you prefer to ask your question on the various HamSphere Facebook pages, and If you have used HamSphere Tech Support were they able to solve your issue for you and would you recommend using this service.

Do you work CW and if not why?

The numbers on SSN and SFI is it when the numbers are larger the propagation is better or worse.
how do lower your latency and decrease the lag when keying the mic.

As you can see the list of discussion points covers a wide spectrum of the HS4 System and we always encourage questions to be asked. If someone on the net does not have the answer, we do our digging and report back to the Operator asking the question. So, if you do have questions on the HamSphere system HS3 or HS4 we are always happy to entertain and discuss such questions.

Also, the HamSphere North American Rag Chew Net once a month does a random draw (number generator) of the Operators checked in and active and we award a 1 hour session on a Rental Remote of the winner’s choice. Here is a list of the winners to date.:

1. K3VIC – VIC – 2021-11-30 32RM1 PUERTO WILLIAMS, CHILE 20 Contacts 10 Countries
2. M6INJ – PETE - 2021-12-12 275RM1 TOKELAU ISLANDS 22 Contacts 13 Countries
3. 2HS6874 – ROB – 2022-01-11 70RM1 AMERICAN SAMOA 9 Contacts 6 Countries
4. KD9TQH – Bob – 2022 02 12 38RM1 Nuuk Greenland 36 Contacts 17 Countries
5. 2HS2265 – JOE – 2022 03 12 131RM1 – Guyana 32 Contacts 14 Countries
6. M7SBC – Andrew – 2022-04-02 – 9RM1 – Alert 44 Contacts 23 Countries
7. 2HS1189 – RIK - 2022-05-22 – 2RM4 – Rockland Maine 17 Contacts 13 Countries
8. KD9TQH – Bob 2022-06-06 – 218RM1 – Caye Caulier Belize 32 Contacts 17 Countries
9. N2JOA – John 2022 07 06 29 Sent 5 Credits for his use
10. VK5NWD – LEW 2022 08 07 198RM1 – Falkland Islands 7 Contacts 7 Countries
11. M6INJ – PETE 2022 09 10 131RM1 Leguan Island, Guyana
35 Contacts 17 Countries

Check out the Event Calendar and do join us on the HamSphere North America Rag Chew Net on Wednesdays and Fridays at 01:00 UTC currently on 70CM (434.5)

The HamSphere North American Rag Chew Net, met on Friday September 9th, 2022, on 70CM (434.5) at 01:00 UTC with 15 HamSphere Operators checked in:
NET/NARC – PETE (M6INJ) NET CONTROL
VE3OHS – WAYNE (ON) (NET MANAGER)
2HS1189 – RIK (IN) NET LOGGER
VA7FT – TIM (BC) NET CONTROL FRIDAY SESSION
M7SBC – ANDREW (GB)
K3VIC – VIC (CA)
G0JDK – ALAN (GB) LISTEN ONLY
VE3CMT – COLIN (ON)
KS1K – DAVE (FL)
VE3HO – GARTH (ON)
2HS6874 – ROB (PA)
2HS2265 – JOE (MN)
N2JOA – JOHN (NY)
VK5NWD – LEW (SA)
2HS1980 – SUNIL (CA)
Fifteen Hamsphere Operators checked in makes for a very busy net.
Discussion for tonight’s net:
If you were you do a DXpedition on Hamsphere or on Real radio where would you go and why? Submitted by Pete M6INJ.
Very interesting answers and places members would like to go and due to the passing of Her Majesty QEII yesterday some reminiscences from all members of the net.
A North American Rag Chew Net Forum has been added to the Forum pages on HamSphere for all to read.
The next session of this net will be on Wednesday September 14th, 2022, at 01:00 UTC on 70CM at 434.500 for the Round Table and/or Discussion.
Net Control will be NET/NARC WAYNE (VE3OHS) and Rik (2HS1189), as Net Logger, do join them.
For comments or questions please email: ve3ohs@gmail.com
de M6INJ (Pete)
Go Forth and Work Split.

India DX Net

Announcement - IDX Net has resumed.

After an inadvertent gap of several weeks, the India DX Net (IDX Net), the oldest running net on HamSphere platform,resumes operation as per regular schedule starting Monday, 12th July 2021 on the usual frequency of 28.455 MHz (10m band) on HS3, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, from 12:30 UTC onward.... We discuss all matters related to HS3, HS4, and RF amateur radio. We answer questions and attempt to resolve any issues or problems faced by HamSphere operators.

We solicit participation from all members of the HamSphere community... 73, de Basu VU2NSB.

HamSphere 80 meter Early Birds

7:00 AM EDT/ 1000 UTC (or so) WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE NET FOR NORTH AMERICAN HAMSPHERE OPERATORS. 3.760.00 MHZ on HamSphere 4 (c)

Please join our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531293857091569/

HamSphere 80 meter award net

By Larry Roop, N8RGO

The HamSphere 80 meter award net meets 1 time during the week on 3.750 at 0100 UTC Mondays. The primary goal of the net is to bring radio operators and states together to achieve their 80 meter award.

We encourage all states to come into the net and participate, the more states we have into our net the easier it will be for new members and even some older members to achieve their 80 meter award quicker. Technically we are a contact net where you exchange signal reports and then exchange QSL Cards for the contact to count on a one on one bases. If our list of checkins in the net are around 15 or less we do have some time that we can spare for general rag-chew, but again it just depends on the amount of checkins. During the Spring and Summer months like we are in now attendance is down and we do not get near the states that we may get during the Fall and Winter months. We maintain a fairly regular group of people and that is fine but as stated we would love to have new members and especially new states check in.

To our DX friends please be aware that conditions are much harder during this time of the year and it is much harder for many stateside stations to reach you. We can only do our best with the antennas that we have and the conditions we have to work with at the time of the net. We know that you guys want to achieve your 80 meter award just as bad as many of us do over here and if we can make that happen we will, patience is the key. If it does not happen during the net maybe something can be worked out for a contact at a later time or date. Please don't hesitate to get a hold of me on facebook and let me know certain states you would like to get a hold of if I know a person in that state I can try and make contact with that person and set something up.

12 Sept Net

Tonight's HamSphere 80 meter award net 09/12/2022 was started at 01:00 UTC on frequency 3.750, the following 11 stations checked in. 2HS1189/IN, 2HS8217/IN, VE3FRM/Ont.Can, 2HS8210/NY, 2HS5086/FL, KJ4BET/FL, WW6DX/CA, N2JOA/NY, K4DPC/NC, HI/KP4JEV/Dominican Republic, and N8RGO/OH as your Net Control Operator.
Tonight's net had 11 checkins and we thank all who checked in. Great net tonight, only one keydown in 26HS6455 No contact in going back to him. Allot of stations had great signal reports so that is a good indication getting back into fall and then winter
Remember we have a FB group labeled the HamSphere 80 meter award net, please check it out and if you are not a member send us a request to join and we will get you approved as quickly as we can.
We closed the net at 0145 UTC. Always keep in mind to check into as many nets as you can. As always have a great rest of the week ahead. Stay safe, 73 N8RGO.

Our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamsphere80meterawardnet/

The HamSphere Alligator DX Club - ADXH

A word about the Alligator DX Hunters. We are to date 179 members. Our group is very active on all bands when the propagation allows it. Our initial goal was to create games to energize HamSphere. Since the departure of one of our founding member there has been an inertia I agree, but we continue to move forward and to exist.

The ADXH is still active and run by Bruno 14HS4937

A list of members will be posted on our Facebook page in the coming days. We need people for the creation of the QSLs of the ADXH as well as the reflection on new games and new activations, and future projects of awards to present to the HamSphere administration and also the management of the Facebook page, a lot of work for one person, so please contact me if you are keen on helping out.

Here is another concept I have thought about:

Activation régions de France

In France we have 13 regions on the national territory and 5 regions on the overseas territories for a total of 18 regions. For this concept we choose 12 regions located on the territory except Corsica, because OSR are currently active on the other 5 regions and Corsica.
The regions are as follows:

Ile de France, city PARIS GRID JN18du
Haut de France, city LILLE GRID JO10mp
Normandie, city CAEN GRID IN99te
Bretagne, city BREST GRID IN78sj
Grand Est, city STRASBOURG GRID JN38vo
Pays de la Loire, city NANTES GRID IN97ff
Centre val de Loire, city TOURS GRID JN07ij
Bourgogne Franche Comté, city DIJON GRID JN27mh
Nouvelle Aquitaine, city BORDEAUX GRID IN94ru
Auvergne Rhône Alpes, city LYON GRID JN25js
Occitanie, city TOULOUSE GRID JN03ro
Provence Alpes Côte d’azur, city NICE GRID JN33pq

The activation will have the limit from 10M to 40M only in voice 4 Days a week and a maximum of 3 hours a day

1 delay of 30 minutes will be required between the bands – example an operator contacts Brittany at 12:00 UTC on 10M he will not be able to establish contact on another band before 12:30 UTC on the 11M

1 delay of 15 minutes will be required if for example an operator contacts Brittany at 12:00 UTC on 10M he will have to wait 15 minutes to do a QSO with Normandy on 10M

Operators will have to confirm the 12 regions from 10M to 40M

Operators will only be able to use the following antennas: G5RV / VU2NSB / IDC / V-COLINEAR / 3 elements Yagi

I will be the only one who will activate these 12 regions randomly 4 days a week and a maximum of 3 hours a day.

For this it will be necessary to create 12 special callsigns such as 14HE...

It will also be necessary to create 12 special QSLs and create 12 different HamSphere positions with azimuth and GRID coordinates of the cities being the capitals of our regions These stations must be equipped with the following antennas: VU2NSB / V-COLINEAR / LOG

The purpose of this activation is to create activity on HS 4.0

HamSphere 50+ Club

Welcome to the old/new HamSphere 50 Plus Club. This group is devoted to all HamSphere 3 and 4.0 users with an age of 50+Welcome to the old/new HamSphere 50 Plus Club. This group is devoted to all HamSphere 3 and 4.0 users with an age of 50+

The purpose of this club is to share fun Ham Radio experiences on the HamSphere 3.0 and 4.0 system.

The original concept was to have activities on HamSphere 3.0 but in this refurbished Club we will extend it to have activities on 4.0 too to show the concept of Shortwave propagation.

The Club will continue with Leo PA0CVE as captain with some help from Kelly SM7NHC and Nico 16HS1033

Now 318 members Facebook page Members (20 Sept 2022)

The Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.50.Plus.Club/

HamSphere Rag Chewers Club - HRCC

:
The HamSphere Rag Chew Club has as of 20 Sept 2022 a total of 1119 members. The Rag Chewing criteria was adjusted slightly and we see a lot more activity. https://hs40.hamsphere.com/hrcc

HamSphere 3.0 contest news

Here are the results of the HamSphere 3.0 "4th of July Contest 2022" that was held 4-5 July 2022.

The results are based on a properly filled out logbook and that power limitation were kept.
We had a total of 83 valid participants making 1220 QSOs compared to last year where the number was 75 participants and 510 QSOs.

Congratulations to James PP5LL who won this contest with the score of 5074.
James managed to complete 86 valid QSO's and 58 multipliers.

Thank you to all participants. Welcome back next year.

Full results: https://www.hamsphere.com/26_60632_read.html

Contest Results HS4

Results: HamSphere 4.0 SSTV Contest 2022

Here are the results of the HamSphere 4.0 SSTV Contest 2022 that was held 13 Aug. The results are based on a properly filled out logbook. Congratulations to Bruno, CT8/HB9BHS who won with the score of 768. Well done! Bruno managed to complete 32 valid QSO's and 23 multipliers

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51215_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 RTTY Contest 2022

Here are the results of the HamSphere 4.0 RTTY Contest 2022 that was held 27 Aug.
We had a total of 18 participants which is 3 more than last year. RTTY is gaining interest.

Congratulations to Bruno, CT8/HB9BHS who won with the score of 4928. Well done indeed! Bruno managed to complete 77 valid QSO's and 63 multipliers and wins the prize of 15 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In second place came Nick, UB3LCE with the score of 2508. Well done! Nick managed to complete 57 valid QSO's and 43 multipliers and wins the prize of 10 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In third place came Niko, 14HS6944 with the score of 1230. Good work! Niko managed to complete 41 valid QSOs and 29 multipliers and wins the prize of 5 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51235_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 4

Here are the results of the "HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 4" that was held 20 Aug 2022.

4 Hour Contests calendar:

Stage 1: 29 Jan 2022 Completed
Stage 2: 23 Apr 2022 Completed
Stage 3: 11 Jun 2022 Completed
Stage 4: 20 Aug 2022 Completed
Stage 5: 1 Oct 2022 Upcoming
Stage 6: 3 Dec 2022 Upcoming

Congratulations to these winners of stage 4:

1st prize: Andy, J2/SP2DNI, 15 HS Credits
2nd prize: Paul, G0THD, 10 HS Credits
3rd prize: Tony, 35HS380, 5 HS Credits

HamSphere extends a big Thank You to all participants!

See you again in stage 5.

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51225_read.html

Results: Summer 24 Hour DX SSB Contest 2022

Here are the results of the "Summer 24 Hour DX SSB Contest 2022" that was held 30 July 2022.

The contest had 117 participants.

Congratulations to these winners:

1st place - Andy, J2/SP2DNI is awarded 30 HS Credits
2nd place - Paul, E7/G0THD is awarded 25 HS Credits
3rd place - Bruno, 16HS1474 is awarded 20 HS Credits
4th place - Bruno, CT8/HB9BHS is awarded 15 HS Credits
5th place - Nestor, LW6DC is awarded 10 HS Credits
6th place - Chris, SP5GNG is awarded 5 HS Credits

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51175_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 Summer CW Contest 2022

Here are the results of the HamSphere 4.0 Summer CW Contest 2022 that was held 16 July.
The results are based on a properly filled out logbook. We had a total of 31 participants.

Congratulations to Andy, J2/SP2DNI who won with the score of 2183. Well done indeed!
Wins the prize of 15 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In second place came Nick, UB3LCE with the score of 900. Well done!
Wins the prize of 10 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In third place came Jose, XE1YJL with the score of 416. Good work!
Wins the prize of 5 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all participants!

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51165_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 3

Here are the results of the "HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 3" that was held 11 Jun 2022.

Stage 3: 11 Jun 2022 Completed
Stage 4: 20 Aug 2022 Upcoming

Congratulations to these winners of stage 3:

2nd prize: Mario, 3B8/IK4HAQ, 10 HS Credits
3rd prize: Alex, CT9/RG5A, 5 HS Credits

See you again in stage 4.

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51105_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 PSK Contest 2022

Here are the results of the HamSphere 4.0 PSK Contest 2022 that was held 21 May 2022.

Congratulations to Niko, 14HS6944 who won with the score of 1833. Well done indeed!
Nik managed to complete 47 valid QSO's and 38 multipliers and wins the prize of 15 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In second place came Nick, UB3LCE with the score of 1665. Well done!
Nick managed to complete 45 valid QSO's and 40 multipliers and wins the prize of 10 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

In third place came Bruno, CT8/HB9BHS with the score of 1435. Good work!
Bruno managed to complete 41 valid QSOs and 34 multipliers and wins the prize of 5 Euro HS Credits. Congratulations!

Thank you to all contesters. Welcome back next year.

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51065_read.html

Results: HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 2

Here are the results of the "HamSphere 4.0 four hour series contest 2022 stage 2" that was held 23 Apr 2022.

Stage 3: 18 Jun 2022 Upcoming
Stage 4: 20 Aug 2022 Upcoming

Congratulations to these winners of stage 2:

2nd prize: Alex, CT9/RG5A, 10 HS Credits
3rd prize: Nestor, LW6DC, 5 HS Credits

See you again in stage 3.

Full results: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/64_51055_read.html

QSL Cards

History

During the early days of radio broadcasting, the ability for a radio set to receive distant signals was a source of pride for many consumers and hobbyists. Listeners would mail "reception reports" to radio broadcasting stations in hopes of getting a written letter to officially verify they had heard a distant station. As the volume of reception reports increased, stations took to sending post cards containing a brief form that acknowledged reception. Collecting these cards became popular with radio listeners in the 1920s and 1930s, and reception reports were often used by early broadcasters to gauge the effectiveness of their transmissions.
The concept of sending a post card to verify reception of a station (and later two-way contact between them) may have been independently invented several times. The earliest reference seems to be a card sent in 1916 from 8VX in Buffalo, New York to 3TQ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (in those days ITU prefixes were not used). The standardized card with callsign, frequency, date, etc. may have been developed in 1919 by C.D. Hoffman, 8UX, in Akron, Ohio. In Europe, W.E.F. "Bill" Corsham, 2UV, first used a QSL when operating from Harlesden, England in 1922.

Use in Amateur radio

Amateur radio operators exchange QSL cards to confirm two-way radio contact between stations. Each card contains details about one or more contacts, the station and its operator. At a minimum, this includes the call sign of both stations participating in the contact, the time and date when it occurred (usually specified in UTC), the radio frequency or band used, the mode of transmission used, and a signal report. The International Amateur Radio Union and its member societies recommend a maximum size of 3+1⁄2 by 5+1⁄2 inches (90 by 140 mm).
Although some QSL cards are plain, they are a ham radio operator's calling card and are therefore frequently used for the expression of individual creativity — from a photo of the operator at their station to original artwork, images of the operator's home town or surrounding countryside, etc. Consequently, the collecting of QSL cards with especially interesting designs has become a frequent addition to the simple gathering of printed documentation of a ham's communications over the course of his or her radio career.
Normally sent using ordinary, international postal systems, QSL cards can be sent either direct to an individual's address, or via a country's centralized amateur radio association QSL bureau, which collects and distributes cards for that country. This saves postage fees for the sender by sending several cards destined for a single country in one envelope, or large numbers of cards using parcel services. Although this reduces postage costs, it increases the delivery time because of the extra handling time involved. In addition to such incoming bureaus, there are also outgoing bureaus in some countries. These bureaus offer further postage savings by accepting cards destined for many different countries and repackaging them together into bundles that are sent to specific incoming bureaus. Most QSL bureaus operated by national amateur radio societies are both incoming and outgoing, with the notable exception of the United States of America and are coordinated by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU).

For rare countries, that is ones where there are very few amateur radio operators, places with no reliable (or even existing) postal systems, including expeditions to remote areas, a volunteer QSL manager may handle the mailing of cards. For expeditions this may amount to thousands of cards, and payment for at least postage is appreciated, and is required for a direct reply (as opposed to a return via a bureau).
The Internet has enabled electronic notification as an alternative to mailing a physical card. These systems use computer databases to store the same information normally verified by QSL cards, in an electronic format. Some sponsors of amateur radio operating awards, which normally accept QSL cards for proof of contacts, may also recognize a specific electronic QSL system in verifying award applications.
One such system, called eQSL, enables electronic exchange of QSLs as jpeg or gif images which can then be printed as cards on the recipient's local inkjet or laser printer, or displayed on the computer monitor. Many logging programs now have direct electronic interfaces to transmit QSO details in real-time into the eQSL.cc database. CQ Amateur Radio magazine began accepting electronic QSLs from eQSL.cc for its four award programs in January 2009. 10-10 has been accepting eQSLs since 2002.

Another system, the ARRL’s Logbook of The World (LoTW), allows confirmations to be submitted electronically for that organization’s DX Century Club and Worked All States awards. Confirmations are in the form of database records, electronically signed with the private key of the sender. This system simply matches database records but does not allow creation of pictorial QSL cards.
Despite the advantages of electronic QSLs, physical QSL cards are often historical or sentimental keepsakes of a memorable location heard or worked, or of a pleasant contact with a new radio friend, and serious ham radio operators may have thousands of them. Some cards are plain, while others are multicolored and may be oversized or double paged.

Usage in shortwave listening

International shortwave broadcasters have traditionally issued QSL cards to listeners to verify reception of programming, and also as a means of judging the size of their audiences, effective reception distances, and technical performance of their transmitters. QSL cards can also serve as publicity tools for the shortwave broadcaster, and sometimes the cards will include cultural information about the country.
The High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program has occasionally requested reception information on its shortwave experiments, in return for which it sent back QSL cards. Standard frequency and time stations, such as WWV, will also send QSL cards in response to listeners reports. Other shortwave utility stations, such as marine and aviation weather broadcasters, may QSL, as do some pirate radio stations, usually through mail drop boxes.

Usage in CB radio

CB radio enthusiasts often exchanged colorful QSL cards, especially during the height of CB's popularity in the 1970s. CB radio operators who met while on the air would typically swap personalized QSL cards which featured their names ("handles") and CB callsigns. Originally, CB required a purchased license and the use of a callsign; however, when the CB craze was at its peak many people ignored this requirement and invented their own "handles".

A simple card format might only include the users callsign and/or "handle", home location, and note the date and time of a CB radio contact. More elaborate cards featured caricatures, cartoons, slogans, and jokes, sometimes of a ribald nature. As the CB radio fad grew in the U.S. and Canada, several artists specializing in artwork for CB QSL cards emerged.

Usage in TV-FM and AM DXing

QSL cards are also collected by radio enthusiasts who listen for distant FM radio or TV stations. With the advent of digital broadcasting there is greater difficulty with the reception of weak TV signals due to the cliff effect, however AM broadcasting radio stations will often reply to listener reports, particularly if they report receiving them at a significant distance.

Assembled and presented by: VE3OHS

The 4.0 BC Band News

Radio Elvira (RADIO_ELVR) bringing radio as it sounded in the 70's and 80's

Radio Elvira (RADIO_ELVR) has been operating on HamSphere4 since December 2016 and has a long history (from 1992). Because HamSphere4 has an international appeal, its programmes have been multilingual from the start.
In spring 2020, our station received a licence for medium wave, low power with a coverage area of 8 miles around the transmitting location.
Multilingual programming has continued, also as our broadcasts via HamSphere4 continue as normal.

Our regular presenters are:
Patrick Jacobs Dutch/English 7-8, 12-13 & 16-18
Peter de Vlieghe Dutch 8-9
René van den Abeelen Dutch 9-10
Christian Brison Dutch 10-12
Paul Van der Molen Dutch 13-14
Wayne Tropp English (USA, hosts live Happy AM, a programme heard on 7 different stations in 4 countries) 14-16
Bob Bate English/Dutch (UK, has its own radio station) 18-20
Annelies Siebers Dutch, co-owner Radio Emmeloord 20-21
Dick Offringa Dutch, owner Radio Emmeloord 21-22
Ellen van Zandvoort Dutch, owner Ellen AM Monday 14-16
Edo Huisman Dutch, co-owner Ellen AM Techniek and substitute in case of illness or holidays
All programme times CET

Our station can be received every Sunday from 4 in the morning until 8 in the evening and every Monday between 7 in the morning and 9 in the evening via the 6240 HamSphere4 and 1485 KHZ AM (UTC)

Subscribing BC stations on HamSphere

6205 kHz RADIO_PHLY
6210 kHz RADIO_WFFI
6227 kHz RADIO_MMR
6230 kHz RADIO_HLBC
6234 kHz RADIO_ADXH
6240 kHz RADIO_ELVR
6242 kHz RADIO_WPRJ
6248 kHz RADIO_FUN
6250 kHz RADIO_APAC
6252 kHz RADIO_848
6255 kHz RADIO_SKIS
6262 kHz RADIO_7456
6265 kHz RADIO_COOL
6270 kHz RADIO_DTSS
6272 kHz RADIO_FOX1
6280 kHz RADIO_AMBR
6285 kHz RADIO_Q5
6290 kHz RADIO_SQRA

Heard BC stations in September 2022

RADIO_7456
RADIO_848
RADIO_ADXR
RADIO_APAC
RADIO_ELVR
RADIO_HLBC
RADIO_MMR
RADIO_Q5
RADIO_ROCK
RADIO_SKIS

Video Tutorials for HamSphere 3.0 and 4.0

Click this link for a number of useful video tutorials: https://hs40.hamsphere.com/videos.php?external

Use the Support Ticket System

We have a 24-hour support ticket system where you can get support regarding anything about HamSphere.

* Changing call signs
* Technical problems
* Suggestions
* General questions, etc.

https://hamsphere.com/support

And remember, always state the HamSphere system (3.0 or 4.0) including operating system and computer model such as Windows, Mac. Linux etc for faster support. You can also attach a screenshot of the issue if you like.

News from HamSphere 4.0 Web shop

Check out the new Plug-ins/Antennas here!!!

How to Subscribe

The HamSphere annual subscription costs 32 Euro (plus VAT in EU), that is about $40 USD and includes all our features even the iPhone and Android apps. It also includes the standard 4.0 transceiver.

Click here if you are interested in subscribing to HamSphere and get all features

For many years our operators have asked for a Subscription alternative payment to PayPal. Finally we are able to process debit and credit cards directly via a Secure Payment Gateway.

More on http://www.hamsphere.com/subscribe

Lost Password / Restore data

How do I get a new password? We get this question often.
Here are two links to fix this.

Click here to get a new password

Or

Click here to set your own password

If it still doesn't work, please contact our support and we will manually give you a new password.

Restore your HamSphere 4.0 rig: http://backup.hamsphere.com/restore_rig.php

Links to official Facebook groups

HamSphere Main https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamsphere/
HamSphere 4.0 Main https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamsphere4.0/
HamSphere 4.0 - Show Your Rig https://www.facebook.com/groups/148521312150096/
HamSphere 4.0 North America 160m Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/HS160meternet/
HamSphere 4.0 Broadcasters https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Broadcasters
HamSphere 4.0 Technical Discussions https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467781153543883/
HamSphere 4.0 Mobile https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.4.0.Mobile/
HamSphere 4.0 Plug-in suggestions https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.4.0.Plugin.Suggestions/
HamSphere 4.0 Oceania - Asia 30m Friendship Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/OceaniaAsia30MFriendshipNet/
HamSphere 4.0 RDF Contest https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.RDF.Contest/
HamSphere 4.0 Indonesia https://www.facebook.com/groups/537072716426107/
HamSphere 4.0 Training Center https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere4.TrainingCenter/
HamSphere 4.0 "Good Time Gang" enjoing 11 Meter Days https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.4.0.Good.Time.Gang/
HamSphere 4.0 Real DX Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/263351994034151/
HamSphere 4.0 Show Your Rig https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphereShowYourRig/
HamSphere 40m Help Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1681612182087104/
HamSphere Awards and Certificates https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Awards/
HamSphere QSL-cards https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420003911568854/
HamSphere Late Night DX-gang https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphereLateNightDX/
HamSphere SKED - QSO Scheduling https://www.facebook.com/groups/1012951745412722/
Hamsphere Russian-language radio club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734563776800249/
HamSphere Contest Club (HSCC) https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Contest.Club/
HamSphere India DX Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.IDXnet.HF.radio/
HamSphere CW Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1399207190331834/
HamSphere Training Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Training
HamSphere Official Contest Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Official.Contest.Page/
HamSphere Alligator DX Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamsphere.alligator.dx
HamSphere Rag Chew Net 40 meters https://www.facebook.com/groups/northamerica40meternet/
HamSphere DX Club Benelux https://www.facebook.com/groups/2009814892472387/
HamSphere 50+ Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.50.Plus.Club/
HamSphere Russian Language Radio Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734563776800249/
HamSphere 80m Early Birds https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531293857091569/
HamSphere 80m Award Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamsphere80meterawardnet/
HamSphere Denmark https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495551710735937/
HamSphere in Poland https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.in.Poland/
HamSphere Essex DX Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Essex.Dx.Group/
HamSphere en Espanol https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.en.espanol/
HamSphere Mobile https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.4.0.Mobile/
HamSphere CIS and Baltic Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.CIS.and.Baltic.DX.Group/
HamSphere QSO Sked https://www.facebook.com/groups/1054004161290968/
HamSphere Real DX Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/742872812520607/
HamSphere East and Southeast Asia DX Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamsphereEastAsia/
HamSphere Homebrew https://www.facebook.com/groups/662364157227214/
HamSphere Contest Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Contest.Club/
HamSphere QSL Cards https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphereQSLcards/
Digimodes on HamSphere https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamspheredatamodes/
HS4 pour les Francophones https://www.facebook.com/groups/HS4.0Francophone/
WWHSG - HamSphere 3.0 and 4.0 World Wide DX Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1513947798882633/
ANZA HamSphere Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnzaHAMSphereDXNet/
H.T.G HamSphere Training Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamSphere.Training/
World Wide HamSphere Rag Chewers Net https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldwidehamsphereradioragchewersnet/

Everything your wanted to know about Ham Radio

HamSphere on Twitter and Facebook

Thank you for all followers on Facebook and Twitter!

Follow HamSphere on facebook

Follow HamSphere on Twitter

There is so much information on all of our Facebook Groups to help you with queries and please, any questions just ask away, someone will be around to help with any questions that are asked. If you haven't joined any of our Facebook groups, do a search for "HamSphere" and you will find them and click on join to become a member.

And our Facebook group

Thank you for your interest and your continued Support.

Agnes Waern Lindman
Editor
© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.