Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Greetings from ZL1DJ - Peter
2014-10-15 23:17
Hello HS operators old and new. I am Peter Unstead from New Zealand. I am a licensed HAM (ZL1DJ) and have held a license since 1991.

My journey on radio started in 1978 when I was playing with a 11m band AM radio and picked up a trucker in Oklahoma. We QSO'd for about 15 minutes before he faded. It was on 4 watts. The amazing part was I was mobile in Johannesburg South Africa! The band was really open back then and the upgrade to a Royce 639 with 40 channels and 12 watts opened up the world of radio for me.

Between the years 78-91 I went from my Royce 639 with a 5/8th vertical to a Yaesu FT101 and Create Design 3-ele Yagi and worked the world on 11m band. I was Alfa Tango member for many years (44AT159) and had 100's of QSL cards from all over the world. Eventually the Radio Inspector threatened me if I don't get my license soon he would confiscate my equipment, so I sat and passed my HAM test in 1990.

Since then I have been ZS5PBU, G0TNP and now ZL1DJ. Apart from Amateur Radio I am also a Presenter on LPFM Radio Station GAP FM 107.4 MHz in New Zealand and do LIVE talk and music shows. I would love to do a show on amateur radio for young people to become interested. We have a webcast feed which I can pass onto anyone who would like to listen to our station. Not sure if I am allowed to put web URL here so wont for now.

My current limitations is area and space to erect a proper yagi beam antenna and the finances to buy one. I have a brand new all band Yaesu FT897 base station which I don't use because of antenna limitations. So, I have become a HS member and find that with the options available I can get back what I had once before. The thrill of chasing the DX! and meeting new friends. Because that's what radio is about! Yes its great to be a technical guru and make everything but nowadays I just enjoy switching on and talking to old and new friends. Amateur Radio is what you make of it not what other people tell you it is.

I hope to meet you around. I usually like to work DX on voice on the 10m, 11m (41HS159), 14 & 21m bands and locally on 7m band. Look out for my call sign ZL1DJ and give me a call, and more importantly, have fun out there!

73's & 88's
ZL1DJ - Peter
Stillwater, NZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.