Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
How do I Connect a Morse Key via USB?
2010-02-07 12:41
If you have a laptop or Desktop PC and it does not have a serial port, you need to use a USB to Serial Port adapter cable. They are available from Belkin and are also available elsewhere on the internet.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459431#

To get CW into Hamsphere using an external key, you need a keying program. The one I use and is compatible with Hamsphere is EHOCW available for free download at WWW.F8EHO.NET

Firstly download and install the program.

Then, plug the USB connector into the USB port on your laptop/computer and connect your key to the 9 pin serial connector. You can use an old 9 pin serial mouse to connect the key. Cut off the mouse and strip back the cable to bare the wiring.

Set up the keying program to use the correct port.

Connect the cable to the terminals on the key (work out which are the correct wires to connect by trial and error - key the key until you hear dits or dahs).

If you don't want to mess around trying to work out which wires connect to which, the best option is to get hold of another adapter like the one shown below:

Simply plug this serial adapter into the serial port receiver on the USB to Serial Adapter cable, or the serial port on your computer if you have one and plug your key into the RCA plug.

Once you have it all set up and working, to transmit CW in Hamsphere, press the PTT button and send CW. At the end of your transmission, press the PTT button again to return to receive mode. DO NOT use the CW Mode button on the Hamsphere panel as it does not work for external keying!

It works for me.

Bruce
43HS031

Re: How do I Connect a Morse Key via USB?
2010-02-07 15:20
Hello Bruce
Very nice! Thanks for posting this. I changed your topic to read as a question (I hope you don't mind) We would like everything in the FAQ to read as a question.
Anyhow, I have several of those serial post cables cables lying around. I think I'll do a little experimenting today!
Thanks again..... great post.

Jerry - N1TKO
2012-02-08 13:58
Hi
Have managed to source a 9 pin serial mouse which should arrive within the next couple of days. To save time experimenting I intend to cut the mouse off the serial plug, did you guys get around to trying the wiring configuration that would key an iambic keyer?
Roy
Callsign and password
2012-04-11 11:14
Why is it that we have to enter the callsign and pin each time we connect
IS there a way that this can be skipped??Looking frwrd to an answer.
Best 73`s to all readers,Henk.
Re: Callsign and password
2012-04-11 11:53
Admin
Hi Henk.

Actually you should not have to do that. BUT. You may have to do it in this sequence:

1. Start HamSphere
2. Login and start the Transceiver
3. Press LOGOUT for 3 seconds.
4. Login again and start the Transceiver
5. Press LOGOUT for 3 seconds.

Your call sign and password should now be "remembered" by the system.

Kelly
2013-02-20 07:44
Thanks for that particular sequence, I'll try it straight away 73
2013-09-25 18:55
Does this post work to send CW and do you have to be a subscriber to make it work. I have everything done pretty much the way it was described above, but not sure it is working in Hamsphere 3 my Iambic (Bencher) Key works fine in programs like CW communicator with this setup so what may I be doing wrong in Hamsphere 3? I am only in my Trail Version at t he moment for FYI.

I thought I read somewhere else that you could not set up your paddle key in this manner and use it on Hamsphere 3, but the new version Hamsphere 4 you would be able to. Please tell me what is the correct answers to all of this?
Larry
2014-06-02 06:23
In your original post, you say :

"If you don't want to mess around trying to work out which wires connect to which, the best option is to get hold of another adapter like the one shown below: '

Since then, the link is no longer valid. What type of adapter were you referring to ? Also, does using the USB to serial and then the other adapter work if you are using a straight key ( as opposed to a paddle ) Am I correct that a straight key has only 2 connections, where the paddle has 3. Which wires would you attach to the straight key ?
2016-08-03 14:25
How do I connect my MFJ-464 CW Keyer/Reader and MFJ-564 Iambic paddle to my Acer Aspire computer for HamSphere CW operation?

Looking for an answer.

Best 73`s to all readers and tnx in advance,

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.