Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
What do we Hamsphere users call each other?
2010-01-31 16:59
In ham radio, it's simple. We're hams.

For CB radio aficionados, it's, once again, simple. CBers. Or maybe freebanders.

The reason I want to get this topic out in the open and resolved is that, if we don't head this one off at the pass, we'll become known as hamsters. Not good. Not good at all.

So quick, folks, put on your thinking caps and come up with a good nickname, one that's not embarrassing, and one that sticks.

Thanks and 73,

Tom
Re: What do we Hamsphere users call each other?
2010-01-31 20:38
AB9B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In ham radio, it's simple. We're hams.
>
> For CB radio aficionados, it's, once again,
> simple. CBers. Or maybe freebanders.
>
> The reason I want to get this topic out in the
> open and resolved is that, if we don't head this
> one off at the pass, we'll become known as
> hamsters. Not good. Not good at all.
>
> So quick, folks, put on your thinking caps and
> come up with a good nickname, one that's not
> embarrassing, and one that sticks.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Tom

Hello Tom,

One we also want to avoid is being called "Hammers" as a hammer is a tool and nobody wants to be a tool. hi hi

Bruce
43HS031

PS. Maybe we could be "Lambs" - Learning Amateurs

2010-02-02 21:33
Hamsters >:D<

2010-02-04 04:49
How about HS'er or maybe HP'ers and lastly PC'ers

Ray
KE4HCQ
2010-05-13 13:07
I agree with 19HS234. 'Hamsters' sounds cool B)

Tasbih
236HS107
2010-09-13 19:49
I've been a SWL(short-wave listener) for the better part of 50 years and only in the last 4 months
did I study for, take the examinations, and pass my Tech(31 of 37) , General ( 35 of 37), and finally
my Amateur Extra class ( 48 of 50). Now that should tell you I am no Spring Chicken, HI HI !! I will
be 56 years old in December of this year, 2010. So an Old Dog CAN learn New Tricks, if he or she is
of a mind to put in the effort and study time necessary.

That extra amount of effort, and the corresponding extra level of insight into the working of radio is
what separates Licensed Amateur Radio Operators from CBer's and business users. Radios are more
than a device, a calculator, a Toaster if you will. We are all privy to the inner workings of one of the
most miraculous tools ever devised by the mind of man, right up there with the wheel, the arch, the
aqueduct, the printing press, and the analytical engine, aka the computer.

If there had been something like HamSphere when I was 5 or 6 years old and just beginning to get
a taste of an area of science & technology I was voraciously interested in, I believe I would have
become a Licensed Operator a long time ago.

Having been very involved with computers for the last 34 years, has led me to delve into SDR, the
not-so-new Software Defined Radio which substitutes virtual components for many of the metal and
crystal and paper components in a 'hard' receiver. I am working with an ICOM PCR-1000 at the moment
and will soon start working with an SDR-1500.

My suggestion is that those users of HamSphere who are NOT already licensed radio operators, be dubbed
'Virtual Hams', as they are learning operating methods, useful habits and courtesies to contribute to the
continuance and strenghtening of the hobby worldwide, and the furtherance of experimentation and
the building of bonds between peoples of different and diverse lands.

Sincerely, KF5HJK Vincent Kerlin USA
2010-09-22 01:20
How about SAMS for Synthetic Hams???
2010-09-23 02:26
first two exams only have 35 questions, not 37.
2010-10-01 03:10
Jorge, you are absolutely correct! I don't know why I posted those 2 exams as having 37 questions. Also, I actually scored 33 of 35 correct on the Technician class exam, and 31 of 35 on the General class exam.

So you can see the difference it made when I spent literally several hours a day in preparation for the Extra class exam, scoring 48 of 50. It was, AND is, the most difficult of the exams, to say the least, but due to decades of experience and knowledge gained thru SWLing and electronic-related hobbies, and a several year stint in the Television Broadcasting industry. I was able to score a significantly higher % on it.

Now what can we do to get you going on getting your General and then your Extra? It really is fun on the HF bands, trying to snag that elusive DX station, or that state or county you thought you would never hear in this lifetime. 73, Vince KF5HJK Locator EM34vt
2010-10-12 21:51
Being from downunder ..............just call me mate

Mick
2011-01-24 01:32
I agree with you, as I have only had my Technician license for about 3 years and now studying for my General license. I am 73 and will be 74 next month. I had to wait awhile on my General due to a mini-stroke in 2009. No after affects except some loss of memory of electronics. I retired in December of 1994 as a Senior Electronics Field Engineer, Supervisor from Xerox Printing Systems Division of Xerox CORPORATION. I have a HF Ham Radio, but can only listen at the present time. I downloaded the Hamsphere software 3 days ago and have talked to England and others in the United States. I love it and subscribed today and wanted to download the software to my Laptop also, but apparently that isn't allowed. So, I guess I will be satisfied with using my Desktop only.

73's
KE5RES
2011-02-04 06:31
How 'bout Hams...and Hamnots?

73's

de K6ADZ
2011-02-08 11:24
Hi Barry,

"Hams and Hamnots" is cute and all but some people may find it insulting. Were Hams called Hamnots when voice came to be the standard in ham radio?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.