Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
How do correctly I operate Hamsphere?
2009-11-27 23:44
Before I start, please do not be offended in any way by these helpful hints while operating Hamsphere. While the developer, Kelly, 5B4AIT, has his rules and regulations regarding Hamsphere, I thought I would post a few notes that may help you in the use of this program and will allow you to become more receptive to other users. The developers rules certainly override any of these comments, but I am sure it will help you in making a lot of new friends and also help you in making that initial contact.
I will also say this; If you are a CB'er or a Shortwave Listener you should never feel as though you are not as welcome as a veteran licensed Ham Radio operator. On the contrary, a "real" licensed Ham operator should be more receptive to helping you! Radio communications is the best hobby in the world and for anyone, licensened or not to treat you differently than others, is certainly not in the true spirit of Ham Radio.
So please take these suggestions knowing that I am trying to help you better communicate and better enjoy the wonderful world of Radio!

1. Breaker....... This is something that is used all the time in CB. Using the word "Break" is not in itself unacceptable if you use it properly. For instance; Two stations are in QSO (talking) and you would like to join in. Instead of saying "Break" you should wait for a pause between the two stations and simply say "This is N1TKO" or you can just interject, "N1TKO". No need to say "Break or Breaker". However, in the real world of radio, if you had an emergency and needed the frequency, the proper way to indicate to the stations is to say "Break-Break". These two words indicate that you have an emergency and the stations on frequency will immediatley stop their QSO and turn the frequency over to you. So.... in a nutshell, the words BREAK-BREAK are internationally recognized as an indication that you have an emergency.
I know there are a lot of CB operators on Hamsphere that have been at it for a lot of years and some habits are hard to break, (no pun intended) so refraining from using "Breaker" will take a little practice.

2. "On The Side"....... This is another common CB term. Although I am not aware of any rule against that phrase, it is for the most part, not accepted in proper radio practice. Instead of "On The Side" you may want to sign of with a station or state to a station(s) that "This is 22HS2222 listening on frequency" or just "2HS2222 listening" or 2HS2222 standing by".

Making a call...... If you are making a call to a friend or just a general CQ, a proper practice may be like this:
N1TKO, N1TKO this is, 2HS222, 2 HOTEL SUGAR 222 calling and standing by". Or if you are calling CQ you may want to do the following: CQ, CQ, CQ, this is 2HS222, 2 HOTEL SUGAR 222 calling CQ, CQ, CQ and standing by for a call". I think you may understand this. Remember, to make your call slowly and clearly and use phonetics regarding your call. The more understandable you are the more likely you are to get a station to answer your CQ. One last thing.... the words "How 'bout it" and "you got your ears on?" will certainly drive most operators away. To learn more about good operating practices, go to THIS SITE or just Google "Good Ham Radio Operating Practices".

Get a Ham License...... One of the things I thought of after downloading Hamsphere was this; What a terrific way to find people who may want to get a Ham license. I'll tell you why..... This program allows non licensed Radio buff's to actually operate in a simulated Ham Radio atmosphere. What a terrific opportunity! You have been given an opportunity that is not afforded to a lot of folks. Learning the theory to obtain a Amateur Radio license can be done by anyone with a book. But with Hamsphere you are actually operating, and believe me when I tell you, on the closest thing to real Ham Radio you will find anywhere!
If you are interested in getting a license, hook up with someone on Hamsphere to be your "ELMER". An Elmer is a licensed operator who is willing to help you in any way he can to explain to you what it takes to get your license and will work with you every step of the way. Get a Net started, ask questions, let a guy or girl know you are interested and 99% of "Real Hams" will bend over backwards to help you.
Remember, there is nothing wrong with CB radio. If you are a CB'er and you operate in the proper manner, don't let some old fart tell you that he or she is better than you or smarter than you because they are licensed. Its all about enjoying to communicate with people all over the globe and share information and friendship.
I have been an Elmer to 6 guys who eventually went on to get their license and it was the most rewarding experiance of my life.

HAM RADIO ETIQUETTE..... Here is something I found on the web and I think it is good reading. Most of it is directed at newly licensed Hams on 2 meter Repeaters but the info is good. I have inserted "links on various words that will bring you to sites regarding a particular subject.
Lastly, Hamsphere is not Ham Radio. There is no RF but if we all treat it as if we are actually using Ham Radio, we will all have a better experiance. There are rules in Ham Radio and there are Rules regarding Hamsphere, the latter is the rules you must follow. I think we all owe a great deal of gratitude to Kelly. Please operate accordingly.

Take the time to listen on the various frequencies before you transmit..
In general, following these simple guidelines go a long way toward making you sound like a seasoned pro.
When you talk on the radio, talk like you were talking to someone across the table, not across town or across the country.
Use English and avoid jargon as much as possible. Q-codes are really a Morse code short hand. They have their place
when voice communications are marginal. Say, "My wife" rather than the "xyl". Avoid falling into the habit of using cute-ism.
"Roger Roger", "QSL on that". Speak like you were talking to someone face to face. Key the mike, AND THEN start to talk.

Don't start speaking as you key the mike. A number of repeaters have a short delay before transmitting. If you start speaking
too soon, your first few words may not be heard. Also, make sure you have finished talking before you un-key the mike.
Give your call sign clearly, and slowly. You worked hard to get your call, so say it clearly and proudly.
Avoid phonetics unless you are asked to do so. When using phonetics, use standard phonetics.
"Alpha, Bravo, Charlie"... etc. Trying to decipher "King Charlie Zero Jamboree Xylophone Freeloader", for KCØJXF is difficult.
If you are listening and would like to have a conversation, just give your call sign. You can add "monitoring", or "listening",
but there isn't any real reason to. Using the term "CQ" on a repeater is generally discouraged.
When you wish to communicate on a frequency, listen for a while before talking, there may be a conversation in progress.
If you want to join into a conversation, just give your call between transmissions rather than using the term "Break Break".
You will be acknowledged and allowed into the conversation.
If you want to talk to a certain person, call him using his call several times, then your call several times.
Many hams have their radios scanning several repeaters. If your call to someone is too short, the scanner
may not pick it up. People are not always at the radio when called, so give them time to get to the radio.
If you have an emergency, give your call and say "emergency" rather than using "Break Break".
Saying "emergency" will make it clear why you are interrupting and it will also get more attention from those just listening.
Make sure you ID according to the rules, but avoid over ID'ing. If you are using a repeater system, the repeater has a timer
so that it can ID every 10 minutes. Whenever you hear the repeater ID that is a good time to send yours.
There is no need to send your call sign, then say "For ID". Your call sign IS your ID.
The term "73", is pronounced "Seven Three". It is a Morse code term that has found its way into voice communications.
The term means "Best Regards" so saying "Seventy Threes" or "Seven Three’s is a bit like saying "Best Regardss”

The term "88" is pronounced "Eighty-Eight" and means "Hugs and Kisses", so be careful who you send "88" to.
It is generally frowned upon to "Ker-chunk" a repeater. That means keying up your radio for just a moment so that the repeater
transmits, usually you hear the "courtesy beep" afterwards.
This is also annoying to the repeater owners and control operators. If you want to make sure you are transmitting okay,
make sure you give your call sign.
Have fun. These are just a few pointers to help you sound like an old pro. Enjoy the hobby and remember, no matter what
happens on the air, always be nicer than the other guy.
Joining a local radio club and having access to the clubs repeater will make the hobby more rewarding.
You will make many friends. Do not be afraid to ask questions. We were all just beginners at one time.
Re: Some useful operating practices
2009-12-05 22:11
Thanks, very interesting, and good tips , Is a non Ham allowed to use Ham bands?

73 de Juliet 44HS115
2009-12-05 22:17
Hello Juliet.... Absolutely! Go wherever you want. Welcome to Hamsphere and have fun.
Jerry - N1TKO
2009-12-06 22:10
howdo you tx ?????
2009-12-06 22:32
Hello Wayne.... Welcome to Hamsphere. To TX or transmit simply click your mouse cursor on the button marked "PTT" Once you click it a green lite will go on. Click it again and a red lite will go on and you will be transmitting hands free. OR simply press the F1 key to transmit.
I hope this helps you. If not, be sure to get back to me and I'll help you along.
73 and good luck
Jerry - N1TKO
2009-12-27 10:52
""Make sure you ID according to the rules, but avoid over ID'ing. If you are using a repeater system, the repeater has a timer
so that it can ID every 10 minutes. Whenever you hear the repeater ID that is a good time to send yours."

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the good info,as I was going to ask Kelly about the use of ID as some operators use it on every over.Is it that requried on Hamsphere.

73 Mauri 41HS377
2009-12-27 14:19
Hi Maury,

No saying your call after every "over" is not required. I personally use the repeater rules of every 10 minutes.
2009-12-27 14:46
Hello Mauri
Good to hear from you my friend. Yes, some guys over use identifying their station (I'm guilty!!) But like Jeremy said, in the actual use of Ham Radio it is required every 10 minutes....
It makes me happy to see that folks are actually concerned about stuff like this. That tells me that guys are taking it serious. It is for fun but if folks actually want to go out and get a license, this (Hamsphere) will be of tremendous help when it comes to operating practices.
Take care and Happy new Year to you and yours Mauri!

Jerry - N1TKO
Re: How do correctly I operate Hamsphere?
2010-03-22 19:13
How do I add a memory channel?
2010-03-22 19:58
Hello Matthew KB3PSN

In the Forum under manuals ........ you can find some documentation as to HOW to Do things here on HamSphere .................

Setting up Favorite freq into Memory Slots....................

Dial up the freq in question .................... Pushe the VFO/ MR button .......... either select a Memory slot to place this freq.... then push the ENTER button on the RADIO KEYPAD................

To delete a freq either over-write it with another frew or select it and use you Delete button on the KEYBOARD.

Some playing around you should be able to figure the rest out yourself................

These memory slots are remembered in the Config file belonging to HamSPhere, meaning they should be remembered next time you log on to the Radio...This config file is on your hard drive in the HamSphere directory.

Good Luck .............Matthew

Vic
VE3JAR
2010-04-15 13:13
I am starting on Ham Radio and need general help and understanding the various shortened name and instruction codes. Can anyone help get me on my way. I am ultimately wanting contact with people from the Antipdean areas.
2010-04-28 23:36
I have just started on Hamsphere. How does one transmit and receive?
2010-05-10 03:42
como comienso a escuchar y despues a tramitir ok
2010-05-13 16:45
Hi,

I seem unable to transmit. I have placed cursor onto PTT button and keyed, but only a red light illuminates, followed by green on second key.

Please advise,

Cheers, Mike,
26HS1437
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.