Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
Guide to JT65
2017-03-05 01:36
Hello all!

JT65 is a fantastic digital mode that is used in the real HF world quite a lot lately. For real world it is a Earth to Moon to Earth (EME aka moonbounce) mode. This mode is great for low power and mic gain and each transmission is about 45seconds; so theoretically it would take less bandwidth on the HamSphere servers than say SSTV.

A standard JT65 QSO contains everything necessary for a valid QSO: callsigns, grid squares, and signal reports. The standard QSO requires 6 periods (i.e. 6 minutes) and proceeds like this:

CQ K1JT FN20 (First station calls CQ)
K1JT W6DTW CM97 (A second station answers CQ w/ grid square)
W6DTW K1JT -18 (CQ station sends signal report)
K1JT W6DTW R-16 (Answering station sends "R" + sig report)
W6DTW K1JT RRR (RRR indicates that the R+signal was received OK)
K1JT W6DTW 73 (RRR was received OK)
W6DTW K1JT 73 (The end of the QSO, K1JT signs '73')

First you need to download a JT65 software. I recommend JT65-HF (Version 1.0.9.3), but you can also use WSJT-X.

All you need to do is enter your callsign, and your “Locator.” This is also known as your Maidenhead Locator. It is a grid (HS4 has it built in for you). If you need to find it, use the following link. For example, mine is EN21ag.

Next you need to set your TX mode. Either TX Even or TX Odd. When you set for TX Even, you will transmit on even minute intervals. Such as 0100, 0102, 0104. And on TX Odd, you will transmit on odd minute intervals. Such as 0101, 0103, 0105.

Then you just setup HamSphere for digital modes (exactly like PSK, RTTY, SSTV, EasyPal, etc).

Lastly, you hit “Call CQ” then “Enable TX.” The software will TX automatically, I usually hit the PTT button at the 58 second interval to prep HamSphere.

The standard frequency in real world is 10138 on the 30m band, and that is where you will find me TXing. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Re: Guide to JT65
2018-04-06 01:34
Will it work with HS calsigns? Doesn't seem like it will..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.