Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
1-8 Net control conduct.
2015-05-15 20:55
Listening tonight on HS3 18.155 I was absolutely disgusted at what happened.

51HS115 (Andorra) had been using the frequency for upwards of an hour and at 8pm UK (7pm UTC) the frequency was commandeered for the 1-8 net.

At 20:03 Net Control for the 1-8 net suddenly appeared and told the Andorra station that "This frequency is a net controlled frequency please stand by". The Net Controller then proceeded to tell 51HS115 to stop calling CQ on the frequency.

I checked the Hamsphere Code of Conduct by going to http://www.hamsphere.com/5_5662_read.html and read the following:

--------------

Don't claim or homestead any particular frequency for nets, schedules, etc. If your designated frequency is already in use, simply move up or down as necessary.

Don't transmit before first determining that the frequency is clear. This includes transmitting within 10 Khz of other known QSOs.

--------------

After about 10 minutes the Andorra station gave up and left for another frequency as he was repeatedly told to stand by and stop calling CQ. The 1-8 group then continued as usual.

I noticed that the usual Net Controller (2HS4850) was absent from frequency and Net Control had been assumed by someone else.

This is wholly unacceptable behavior, especially from one of the most popular nets on HS3. If new users see this kind of behavior from Net Controllers they will assume that this is accepted common practice.

It disappointed me to see such a flagrant abuse of the system and it's users.

73 Craig
26HS5759
M6FLF
Re: 1-8 Net control conduct.
2015-08-13 23:19
Its not the only Band. this is done on

Arthur Luke N8THJ
2015-08-13 23:50
Sadly you are right, Arthur.
And you can see this common practice sometimes from other (well known) Net as well....
Some people believe that they are the "owner" of frequencies and everybody has to disappear or move (QSY) if they appear. ;-)

But in the "real (ham) world" the owner of a frequency is the person, who is calling CQ on a clear frequency as the first operator.
Until he clear his frequency, she is busy. There are NO fix reserved frequencies for anybody.... (and all people has to accept that)

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2015-08-14 12:40
I got that and understand that.but IF your talking is it right for a person to jump in and tell you this channel belongs to them and there group.this does not promote good radio practice.I know IF your on a channel it's your till YOU clear off.I've been a ham for 25year and i know how it's supposed to work anyway I Will respect other and do MY best to promote good radio fun and enjoyment when every iam on tnxs for the reply and enjoy I Will.73for now

Arthur Luke N8THJ
2015-12-19 05:58
A few notes:

1) In over-the-air ham radio, nets sometime have to move frequency when the usual frequency is already occupied.

2) In other words, nobody "owns" a frequency. It's first-come, first-served.

3) With that said, though, it's perfectly fine for a net control to break into a QSO and politely ask if the users are willing to move so that the net can use its usual frequency. Since hams are friendly and cooperative in most cases, the users will usually be happy to move to another frequency. But if they don't, then it's customary for the net control to politely move the net instead without argument.

Hope this helps somehow on HamSphere!

Randy, K7RAN
2015-12-19 10:36
Hi Randy,

yes, that is exactly what I say and wrote in August:

13HS1807 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sadly you are right, Arthur.
> And you can see this common practice sometimes
> from other (well known) Net as well....
> Some people believe that they are the "owner" of
> frequencies and everybody has to disappear or move
> (QSY) if they appear. ;-)
>
> But in the "real (ham) world" the owner of a
> frequency is the person, who is calling CQ on a
> clear frequency as the first operator.
> Until he clear his frequency, she is busy. There
> are NO fix reserved frequencies for anybody....

> (and all people has to accept that)

Indeed, that is the normal practice and rule on HF-Ham-Radios.
There ist no "fix frequency" for any Net or any other Operator as well.
Is the Freq. busy, the NET has to move/QSY, NOT the other first QSO! That is, what some people here has to learn...

A good radio-practice could be, to QSY anyway (with 2 persons) if a known Net starts - but that is no requirement. Only courtesy.

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.