Corona Admin
Forum List Message List Search
The Benefits of HamSphere!
2014-12-16 01:03
Hello to all,
I have read many negative comments on the forums about HamSphere, mostly in the vein of, "It's not Real Radio." Many are against allowing non-hams to participate. Many compare it to Skype or a Chatroom. And 90% or more of these comments are coming from alleged Ham Operators. Finally, many complain of the yearly subscription fee.
I'd like to address these comments if I may.
1. Nope...it's not Real Radio nor does Kelly represent it as such.
2. By allowing non-hams to join in, they are getting useful practice in proper operation and hopefully will be influenced to study for their Ticket.
3. It's a bit more complicated to learn than either Skype or Chatrooms, and serves a different function.
4. Kelly has written an impressive peice of software. Servers and bandwidth are expensive. A true craftsman is worth his pay.
Why should this infrastructure and service be provided for free?
Now for anyone wondering, I am a licensed Ham Operator, Callsign KD8WKI. I would not be one, if I had not found HamSphere, and gotten the bug!
In conclusion, My hope is that Hams will support this fine service, and that no one will judge it without at least trying it.
I hope all those Ham Operators will realize how beneficial this program can be in getting non-hams interested enough to go for their Ticket.
Thanks for putting up with me,

"Life is a school. Study hard. The final exam is
comprehensive and counts for 100% of your final grade."
Unkei
Re: The Benefits of HamSphere!
2014-12-17 18:01
Hi Dave,

I agree 100% with you!
Because it is a "closed system" without any gateway to real HF bands it is a very good chance for non-licensed Newcomers to make first experiences.

And of course it is a lot of work to develope such a program and infrastructure.
A good forum-software for example cost about 30,- to 40,- Euros per year as well. So the price is not too high for this software.

I was a shortwave Radioamateur since the 1970th years as well and also many other operators are using HamSphere more than their normal equipment today!
So if somebody is looking to the prices of a real equipment .... and then to HamSphere... there is a big difference. :-)
He can't compare it with real HF. But the feeling of operating is about the same!
And HS 4 is not like "Skype or Chatrooms", absolutely not!
Skype isn't working with propagation-simulation, filters and antennas and so on.

It's working all the time between Germany and USA... but on HS and HF it's only possible if the bands are open! So that's the big difference to Skype and other messengers. ;-)
Ok, HS 3 is a little bit like that, but noch HS 4. People who compare it with Skype can only know the HS 3, but not the 4.0.

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
2014-12-17 21:53
Hi Jorg,
Thanks very much for your comments. I always liked the HamSphere 3 and stll use it on my iPad and iPhone, but the HamSphere 4 is much more realistic in my opinion. Had a little glitch due to confusion with my subscription renewal, and my Transceiver would come up as the default one without my saved rig and not showing my purchased items, but Kelly made it all right again. I had 2HS7356 and had it changed to my Ham license of KD8WKI, and somehow, with that change and my renewal combined, it caused an issue. But all is well now. And, like I said, without HamSphere, I would never have studied for and gotten my Ham Ticket. It's just a fantastic way to get used to the ins and outs of proper protocol! No...it's not REAL radio, but it is great for beginners as well as those of us with no way to put an antenna up, due to either location, or health problems. I have a handheld Yeasu, and it's great, but I'm sure not getting out to China with it! LOL!
73s,
Dave

"Life is a school. Study hard. The final exam is
comprehensive and counts for 100% of your final grade."
Unkei
2014-12-18 14:31
Hi Dave again,

so I think the reason for this confusion was the change of your callsign. Maybe the system has handled it as a new account and with that there is only the basic rig, of course.
But normally it is possible to make an internal transfer of all this plugins and antennas, settings and so on to the new callsign/account.

Have fun with the system and maybe we can catch on the HS 4 bands under good propagation. :-) For the higher bands I have some Cardiod antennas, which are very good for this long-distance DX between USA and Germany.
So it would be a pleasure to have a chat with you. :-)

73 and good DX from Jörg :-)
JO31ok
Bochum / Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved.